Roman Nature


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire
May 4th 2007
Published: May 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Weather Report

Day dawned cold and grey with blustery wind.
Two-three hours of sunny periods in the middle of the day.
By mid-afternoon back to cold, grey and windy.

Sunny spells by mid-morning tempted me onto the road. Visited the medieval church in Stapleford and then moved on to the Beechwood Nature Reserve on the south side of Cambridge. From there it was a short drive to access a part of the Roman road that runs through this area. The lay-by seemed to be one of those delightful places where men of a certain persuasion wait for …. whatever it is they wait for. Anyway I avoided eye contact just in case I gave the wrong signal - whatever that may be !

Leaving the Romans et al behind I found myself in Fulbourn a small commuter village on the edge of Cambridge. Although this had an interesting old core with sixteenth / seventeenth century buildings occupied by modern shops the picture was somewhat spoilt by the amount of traffic. The church was definitely worth a visit.

Drifted onto to Great and Little Wilbraham villages where the landscape was noticeably different to the undulating landscape of yesterday. Here we are getting into the Fenland that lies to the east and north of the city. I always find these transitional areas really interesting ….. you can see the landscape changing in front of you.

Beginning to be rather gloomy now (the weather that is) so finished up with a brief stroll around the Fulbourn Nature Reserve before returning to base.

Camp Site really beginning to fill up in preparation for the Bank Holiday ….. hopefully the cold dull weather will quieten any noisy children (or adults !).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0735s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb