PUB DAY!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Berkshire » Bray
June 24th 2018
Published: June 24th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Michelin Star Count: Today 0; Trip 8



So today we left our humble abode in Bray and travelled to the Cotswolds for a quiet day of walking around. The Cotswolds are a bunch of little country towns with some of the coolest names. Stow on the Wold, Upper Slaughter, Bourton on the Water are the three we spent some time in today. Sweet little villages, leaning a bit to the touristy side but still worth the drive. Wonderful sites on the way.



We had a reservation at a pub just outside of Stow that was supposed to do the best Sunday roast in the area. Sunday roast is a big thing here. Beef. Potatoes. Yorkshires. The whole 9 yards. Now the important word in that last sentence was had. Midday Saturday I got an email from the pub saying unfortunately they would be closed. Ooops! Fortunately there were plenty of places to eat and we had a lovely little pub lunch near the water. Bangers and mash. Chicken pie. Steak and ale pie (and a really nice local IPA). First real pub food we have had since we landed. Very nice.



After lunch we started the drive to London and 90 minutes later we arrived at Kew Garden a huge city garden not too far from Heathrow. The grounds themselves are quite interesting but the jewel is in some of the pavilions. We spent some time in the Jungle pavilion (for the live of me I cant remember the actual name) and in the Princess Diana pavilion. The interesting thing about the latter is that it has two rooms dedicated to carnivorous plants. Which was kinda cool! Apparently, tomatoes are carnivores as well. Who knew!



A short drive to dinner at pub number 2 for the day, The Bell and Crown. Sunday roast was had. Fish and chips was had. And one member of the peanut gallery decided he needed a steak! Good fish...not as good as Heston’s, but still pretty good. Massive yorkshire’s on the roast plates. Bigger than most soup bowls! Overall a pretty good meal. Nice to actually have some pub food.



Tomorrow...a little Jamie!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb