Tunnels Lichtenstein and heart stopping Alpine Passes


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West
May 18th 2011
Published: May 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 15 & 16
Tunnels, Lichenstein and Heartstopping Alpine passes
We left Innsbruck with weather still gloomy but had our first taste of the long monotonous alpine tunnels- I’ll never complain about the Blackwall tunnel again. We made an overnight stop in Lichenstein one of the smallest countries in the world. Its main claim to fame is its the largest producers of dentures in the world and has a dubious reputation as a tax evaders haven. As the Royals sometimes ski there, we thought it might be interesting to go to. Also thinking it might be a bit like Monaco - smart wealthy and stylish. We were disappointed. The only thing that was interesting was the old castle on the hill, in which the ruling prince resides and rules with a rod of Iron. Think of the old Hammer Dracula films with the old village down the hill and you’ll get the picture.

The following day we decided to let the Satnav work out a route to Interlaken, our next destination, avoiding the Motorways. It took us along some stunning roads and up... and up...into the snow again-with sheer drops, doesn’t do Kim’s vertigo any help at all. Alison said it was the best drive of her life!
Made it at last to Interlaken, first impressions great. Lovely campsite looking out over the the great mountains of Monch, Eiger and Jungfrau.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

LiechtensteinLiechtenstein
Liechtenstein

Alison with Model of Castle
InterlakenInterlaken
Interlaken

A warm welcome from the ducks who seem to know where a meal is.


Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0922s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb