Gornergrat


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Zermatt
September 9th 2009
Published: May 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Matterhorn wievMatterhorn wievMatterhorn wiev

Matterhorn
Trip to Gornergrat
It was nice sunny September's day. We were camping 2 nights in Zermatt (Camping Matterhorn) and on the 1st day we made a trip to Gornergrat(3100m).

Our trip started at 7.30 AM, we went trough whole Zermatt and by the first tourist sign we turn left to the wood. The steep path trough deep forest was poling by cog-railway, from which tourist were waving over us. After an hour, when we walked out the forest, we could see the nice scenery of Matterhorn. And from this moment, Matterhorn was our "guide" all the way.

Our way followed through meadows and forests to Riffelalp(2211m). There is a complex of small hotels and here we met first tourists. We followed them by steep dusty path from which we could see nice views of Zermatt valley. Our next "stop" was Riffelberg(2582m). When we got there, also the cog railway stopped and few tourists got off and went on by foot. They were full of energy but we had there a respite and took some photos. The path follows uphill and we could see in front of us Gornergletscher and massif of Monte Rosa. Gradually we got to the Riffelsee, and from this place, Gornergrat was far away 45 minutes, but this minutes were longer and longer, because of our exhausting, the hot Sun and high elevation. There were dozens people who climbed up the steep path, but up the Gornergrat, there were hundreds of them. When we came to Kulmhotel, I don't believe that I am up in the mountains. It was like rush small town with great hotel, but when we went beyond this place and reached the top of Gornergrat, the peace and calm was unbelievable. We approached it at 1 PM, after 5 hours of walking through nice hills and meadows. Back to the Zermatt, through the same way, it took 4 hours.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

RiffelalpRiffelalp
Riffelalp

Riffelalp


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb