Interlaken - Day 1


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Interlaken
September 25th 2005
Published: October 18th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Interlaken churchInterlaken churchInterlaken church

There's a cool little garden and waterfall in front of this quaint church in Interlaken...very peaceful place.
(Posted on October 16 by Kim)

After Venice we headed to Interlaken via a night train to Zurich. My friend Jesi had highly recommended Interlaken as a fun outdoor adventure place for both Joe and I. We had thought we would do something crazy like ice climbing, but by this time in the trip we were both exhausted, out of clean clothes, and tired of spending money. Our lodging was very reasonably priced in Interlaken, but the food was very expensive. When we finally decided on a lunch place in Interlaken, Joe decided he might as well go all out and ordered a steak. Plus, we’d been eating lots of pasta in Italy, and many of the pasta dishes had no meat or much smaller amounts than what we were used to. The steak was pretty decent after all and a nice change.

We sat in a big open park in the middle of town and enjoyed watching the para gliders come in to land. Interlaken is a beautiful resort town in the Swiss Alps positioned between two lakes, which is where it gets it’s name. The two lakes are Lake Thun and Lake Brienz, both of which are
Swiss countrysideSwiss countrysideSwiss countryside

The train ride through Switzerland from Zurich to Interlaken gave us some awesome views of the countryside.
very beautiful.

After our restful time at the park taking in the great view we headed to the hostel office (didn't open until 4 pm) and got a great room. The hostel was almost directly across the river from the train station, but you had to walk a little to a bridge to get across. The hostel also had an RV park as part of it, and everything was one story and all the rooms opened outside, but the place was amazingly peaceful and quiet. The place looked rustic but the interior was actually very nice with down comforters and pillows on the beds. We were very happy to be able to do laundry there at the hostel, and Tanya & Wilson rented bicycles to ride around.

After our experience with the expensive lunch, we decided to take advantage of the kitchen facilities at the hostel. Tanya and I rode the bikes to a grocery store (called Coop) in town and bought groceries. I had been craving salad since I hadn’t had any in Italy. In Italy, they bring you oil and vinegar to put on your salad for dressing, so I had decided not to order salad
Swiss farmSwiss farmSwiss farm

The farms in Europe are usually much smaller than in the States.
while we were there. Joe and I had nice salads at lunch with great Italian dressing (ironic, isn’t it) so Tanya and I had planned to pan fry some chicken and have grilled chicken tossed salads for dinner. We forgot that they don’t sell raw meats at a grocery store; for that, you go to a butcher. Our choices then were frozen chicken nuggets or fresh cooked schnitzel (breaded boneless pork chop) in the refrigerated section. I chose the schnitzel, and it went great with our salads. We ended up eating out in the courtyard area that had a nice big canopy that protected us from the rain.

We then enjoyed playing some cards in the tv room and nice showers before bed with no time limit and plenty of hot water. We also enjoyed our comfy bunk bed that had double size mattresses. After lots of couchettes in trains and twin beds in hostels, actually sharing a bed with our spouses was a nice luxury, even if it was a bunk bed with another couple!

-Kim


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Interlaken Interlaken
Interlaken

Open park in the middle of Interlaken where the para gliders would land.
Alps behind InterlakenAlps behind Interlaken
Alps behind Interlaken

You can barely see the tall snowcapped Alps behind the clouds. We had such a great view for our afternoon in the park!
Aare RiverAare River
Aare River

This beautiful river runs through town and adjacent to both the train station and our very cool hostel.


Tot: 0.363s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb