There is Grey Water Down My Wet Suit...


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Interlaken
June 27th 2007
Published: June 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So, our train ride to Switzerland took us about nine hours to make it to Interlaken. I thought the sights from the train were the most beautiful that I had ever seen. (We were originally supposed to stay in Lucerne, but due to lack of room availability and our desire to go rafting we ended up in Interlaken). When we arrived at the hotel, the owner showed us to our room. Our "room" turned out to be a nice, little apartment that overlooked the lake and the mountains. I seriously had a hard time both breathing and walking after looking out at our view since it even topped the train ride. (This would continue to happen the entire time in Switzerland). Shortly after settling in, we heard yodeling coming from the restaurant attached to our hotel.

The next morning, we were supposed to take a day trip to Lucerne. However, the weather was clear, so we decided to go up to Jungfraujoch. Jungfraujoch is called the "top of Europe" and is highest train station in Europe. Meggen's guidebook called the trip a chance of a lifetime (this would turn out to be an understatement), so we decided to go up on the first clear chance we could get. It took three trains to get to the top. The trains, once again, were breathtaking. I think between the three of us we took about 200 pictures just going up. At the top, we first went to the viewpoint to see the mountains even closer where it was windy and cold. You couldn't even tell that the mountains were actually about 2 miles high since we were also so high up. Next, we went out into the snow. This was my first time to actually "see" snow and not what we call snow in Texas. Meggen introduced me to it, and we continued taking pictures. We then went snowdisking down a hill. Everything was incredible. It was hard to imagine that in less than a week, we would be laying out on a beach. After we hiked a little further up the mountain, we sadly said goodbye to the snow. After we got back to Interlaken, we ate fondue for dinner. We opted to splurge and had three courses of fondue. The amazing dinner finished our wonderful day.

The next day, we had reserved a rafting trip. (My graduation gift to the girls was to do something adventurous during our trip). It basically rained from the previous evening to about an hour before our trip, so luckily the weather did not cancel our trip. We got picked up from the train station by a barefooted girl with orange dreadlocks who barely spoke English and whisked us to the gathering point. We were given our wetsuits, life jackets, helmets, and bused out to the starting point. At the starting point, we learned all the basic instructions and that the temperature of the water is 39F and the level of rafting was about a 4. Also, the other people in our raft would be three high school girls in Europe with their girl scout troop. Also, since it rained so much, the rapids were way up. Also, despite the fact all the lakes we have thus seen were turquoise, the river was seriously grey. From the beginning, we knew this would definitely be an adventure. So, we started out fairly well. Shortly into it, your hand closest to the water went numb so you didn't have to worry about it for too long. I seriously do not know how the whole raft did not flip over after coming almost completely out of the water onto a rock, but I guess our raft guide did know what he was doing. Well, that was just the first part. We had to bypass one part of the rapids since it was too dangerous. The second part was what the guide called "still fun just before it gets really dangerous." It was awesome. We all survived with zero injuries. We got into the water during one of the slow parts. Thank goodness for wet suits. Rafting was seriously one of the most exciting experiences. There is something about being splashed with numbing water while looking out at the alps that is indescribable.

Our final day in Switzerland, we headed out to Lucerne. Sadly, the weather was cloudy, so that we could not go up their mountain, but I guess we had the chance the see a mountain twice the size a few days prior. We saw Chapel Bridge and picnicked in it. We saw the signs pointing to Meggen and took pictures with her in front of it. (For those of you who do not know, Meggen owns a city. Meggen's parents were traveling when her mom was pregnant with her. Meggen happened to kick when they were in Meggen, Switzerland, and thus she was named). We then shopped and walked around the city for a while. Lucerne was cute, but I was glad that we ended up in Interlaken for our stay. We took the train back to Interlaken for dinner and then ate dessert at our hotel.

Words do not give Switzerland justice. The entire time we were there, I was in awe. I wish I could describe its beauty, but maybe it is better I cannot so that each person can experience it for himself. I would defintely recommend Switzerland as a must see since our photos will not be able to do it justice.

Since we were spoken to in several languages the whole time...Danke...Merci...Thanks...we will be back as soon as we can.

Advertisement



27th June 2007

Wow!!!
Wow!!! Great journal entry! I felt as if I were in Switzerland again. Every direction you look while there, you see a "picture postcard." Thanks for the reminder . . . and the details! 'See ya soon : )
27th June 2007

niiice
was the rafting done in Interlaken?

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1129s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb