Strike


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Geneva
June 8th 2010
Published: June 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Spain is having strikes over austerity measures today and our nearest metro route is closed for the day. So with no cheap means to get to the city center, we've been hanging out in The Sant Boi suburb of Barcelona.

This blog will detail some highlights of Geneva where we spent our last couple of days. If you can catch a soccer match at Stade de Geneve then do. It offers an intimate setting (only 30,000 capacity). At first it is difficult to gauge how large the city is. It seems to lined with street after street of 7 or 8 story buildings surrounding a beautiful lake, but we ended up walking from one side of geneva to the other in 30 min. You can see most of what the city has to offer in 2 days. We ate food we bought from Migros for breakfast so I have no recommendations there but for lunch try Chez-ma Cousine. There are 2 locations in town and we ate at the one in the old town district next to the cathredal. We had a delicious good sized lunch for around 15 chf. For dinner, head over to Bains des Paquis. It's out on a pier and is open air cafe. Occasionally they charge a few franks to go out on the pier because there is a swimming area off of it. The water was clear and I was tempted to get in, but the water was still a bit cold for me. They also had some musicians playing the first evening we walked out there. It's a cool place to hang out and offers one of the cheaper meals in town for dinner. We spent 12 chf for the plat de jour dinner.

For one days worth of actvities you can start the day off with a tour of the red cross museum then walk next door for a tour of the UN. Then, it's fun to stroll down Quai du Mont-Blanc. It's the street right on the lake and on weekends it is bustling with people enjoying the sun and scenery. You can rent free bikes with a deposit on this street at a trailer stand called Geneve Roule. Ride over to the other side of town to explore the Old City. There is a great park called parc des Bastions in this area. There is a small unversity that backs up to the park. There is a cafe and food stand in the park along with a very cool wall dedicated to the Protestant reformation period. There are also giant chess and checkers boards you can play at the end of the park. This are can get quite busy and some games attract a good number of spectators. There are also ping pong tables so make sure to bring your paddles and ping pong balls.

For day 2 I would try to make it out to CERN where they have the nuclear collider. We weren't able to go but I think it'd be worth the short trip just outside of town. You have to make reservations for a tour pretty far in advance. I'd come back in the afternoon to do some shopping take pictures of the giant fountain in the lake and do some swimming if it's hot at the afore mentioned pier.



Advertisement



8th June 2010

lol, sounds like someone is referencing frommers as they wrote this entry.
8th June 2010

No it's all original you can tell by the lack of compound sentences
8th June 2010

Ah strikes.. a true European experience...
8th June 2010

so many recommendations! seems like i should try out gempf!

Tot: 0.361s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1186s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb