photos of castle chillon


Advertisement
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Geneva
July 29th 2008
Published: July 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

As promised, here are my photos from castle chillon, located in Montreux, Switzerland. Most of the captions were taken from the Chillon Castle brochure they gave us when we entered.... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Camera DominiThe Camera Domini
The Camera Domini

The lords bedroom was the bedroom of the Counts and then the Dukes of Savoy. It was created in the 13th century and completely reorganized in the 14th century.
Drawing RoomDrawing Room
Drawing Room

This room was used in the Middle Ages as a withdrawing or dressing room. The corner chimney and murals date from the 13th century. The ceiling dates from the 15th century
Wooden RoomWooden Room
Wooden Room

Probably used in the 14th century to accommodate the ladies of the House of Savoy.
Wooden RoomWooden Room
Wooden Room

The original 15th century ceiling was moved from Villeneuve to Chillon and put in place in 1931. The panelling, also from Villeneuve, was restored in 1925.
ChapelChapel
Chapel

Saint-George's chapel was the private chapel of the counts and subsequently dukes of Savoy. Abandoned at the time of the Reformation, it was used as a granary and then a powder-house during the Bernese period.
ChapelChapel
Chapel

The chapel returned to its original function in the 19th century, becoming the place of worship for prisoners when the castle became a cantonal prison.
Aula MagnaAula Magna
Aula Magna

In the middle ages the Savoys used this room as a reception, banquet or feasting hall.
Allinge's RoomAllinge's Room
Allinge's Room

This was a bedroom in the 13th century and then a powder and press room during the Bernese period. In the 19th century, it was used as an artillery storehouse.
Camera NovaCamera Nova
Camera Nova

Reserved for the Savoys at the end of the 14th century.
DwellingDwelling
Dwelling

Created between the end of the 12th and beginning of the 13th centuries, the main building was used as a storehouse and defensive cover. In the 14th century it was also used as a prison. It collapsed in the 15th century.
Another courtyardAnother courtyard
Another courtyard

This courtyard was designed entirely to defend and control the old road: thick walls, narrow openings, and defensive architecture such as hoardings, machicolations and the glacis or defensive apron slope.
BastionBastion
Bastion

Built for the solders of the garrison responsible for guarding the entrance between the 16th and 17th centuries, this third defense tower is the same type as the one described above.



Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb