Out of the Fog


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-East » Rapperswil
October 15th 2006
Published: November 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Rapperswil, Switzerland

Our excursion today was on a boat down Lake Zurich to Rapperswil. It was pretty foggy when we left but the fog cleared as we moved along and it turned into a beautiful sunny Sunday. Despite the fog it was warm enough to sit out on the deck. The ferry makes many stops along both sides of the lake along the way. There is also a tiny ferry to take cars across (it's quite a long drive around). Rapperswil is a lovely little town with the requisite "very old church." Apparently, it was once strong enough to have attached Zurich! We strolled through the streets past shops and cafes and finally settled on one in the square where we had some quiche, sandwiches, and wonderful desserts.

I found this legend of the town online and thought it was worth sharing:

"One early morning the count and countess of Rapperswil and some servants went across the lake to go hunting. No sooner as they reached the shore than the dogs tracked down a hind and chased her up the hill. There she hid in a cave. When the hunters got to the cave they saw two fawns next to the hind. The countess took pity on those animals and persuaded her husband to call back the dogs in order to save the live of the animals.

After lunch the count and his wife rested in the shade. Then suddenly the hind appeared and laid her head into the lap of the countess to thank her for saving her family's life. The count was so enchanted that he ordered that the three animals be brought back to Altendorf. He also took it as a sign from heaven and decided to build his new castle on this hill and found a village on the south slope.

Today a deer park on castle hill reminds us of the town's legend." We noticed the deer in an orchard behind the church and wondered why they were there, now we know!

On the train ride back we met Aiesha, a sweet mix dog who had walked for 4 hours to get to Rapperswil!

For dinner back in Zurich we were treated to one of BK's famous casseroles. This one consisted of broccoli, mushrooms, cream of chicken soup, spatzli and of course lots of cheese - delicious! Spatzli are little pan-fried dumplings, similar to those used in chicken paprikash.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

ZurichseeZurichsee
Zurichsee

On Lake Zurich
OvomaltineOvomaltine
Ovomaltine

Believed to be a health drink in Europe.
Marroni VermicelliMarroni Vermicelli
Marroni Vermicelli

The topping on the cake is chestnut paste pressed into a noodle shape. It is very popular this time of year.


Tot: 0.349s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 35; qc: 155; dbt: 0.1449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb