Gothenburg and the Southern Archipelago


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Västra Götaland County » Gothenburg
September 6th 2016
Published: September 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

It's been a fabulous few weeks here in Gothenburg, Sweden. Visiting family and getting to know our 18 month old grandson, Oliver. In fact we have been so busy I haven't written a word about all the sights and experiences we have enjoyed since our arrival here in late July. I have taken numerous photos so I have just chosen a few to illustrate the good times, the events and the family fun times we have been fortunate to enjoy.

Three good things:

1. Spending lots of time with Oliver, teaching him some English words and actions to his favourite songs - "The wheels on the bus" kept going round and round and round and round! Fortunately the actions mean the same in Swedish and English. Handy song to sing to calm an 18 month old down when he is overtired. I think we taught him a new favourite - Leicester's version of "Mary had a little lamb" became his new favourite but only if Poppa sang it at bedtime. Playing in the garden, strolling through the summer houses and finding cats to pat and sandpits to play in were also some fun times.

2. Events like swimming from and exploring the islands of the Southern Archipelago, watching the street performers at the Gothenburg culture festival and meeting the extended family for meals are all special memories faithfully recorded digitally too.

We have been walking so many places and as we have had to "endure" endless beer tasting, scrumptious meals and lots of coffee drinking, that has helped keep the waistlines slightly in check. Hmm - yes, well that may not be quite true but when the son owns a brewery and is a great cook what else can you do? I would like to pack his coffee machine but the backpack is already too full.

3. Transport is so easy, using the trams, boats and buses here, we haven't got lost. I would definitely recommend using the pubic transport system to get around as you get to see the reality of life in Gothenburg. We have explored a little bit more of Gothenburg this time around. Although I did lose my prescription glasses (somewhere on a tram I think), the friendliness and warmth of the Swedish people we have found here have outweighed that little inconvenience.

The trains are also a great way to travel between cities but more about that in my blogs about Skane and Stockholm.

In the meantime, I hope you all enjoy the photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb