Notes on Malmö


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Skåne County » Malmö
September 7th 2014
Published: September 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

For those of you who like a bit of historical perspective I've decided to add a few notes on Malmö.

The city of Malmö emerged during the 13th century and its location, beside the Öresund Sound, is due to the herring. Fish was an important commodity; the annual markets along the coast of Skåne and Zealand attracted merchants from right across Northern Europe. In the 16th century, Malmö was one of the biggest cities in Scandanavia and Denmark's second city after Copenhagen. In 1658, under the treaty of Roskilde, Malmö ans Skåne passed to Sweden.

Industrialisation, and many new factories gathered momentum throughout the 19th century; in 1840 the company that would become one of the biggest shipyards in the world was formed. While closures of many industries in the 1970s and 80s saw a downturn, with the opening of the Öresund Bridge things began to look up.

Now the city is regarded as one of the most environmentally friendly in Europe and has been designated as a Fairtrade City since 2006. A modern green Malmö.

Somewhat of a pick and choose potted history I know but better than nothing!

Advertisement



7th September 2014

Malmo
Sounds good to me. I like potted history.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb