Viking country


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Gotland County
July 25th 2006
Published: July 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday morning the lifeboats were lowered by means of thick steel ropes and other impressive tackle along with a boarding platform and gangplank and we were ferried across to the city of Visby on the Swedish island of Gotland. This exquisite little town remains completely unspoilt and retains many of its 14th and 15th century buildings. No ugly modern buildings have been thrown up within or beside it unlike poor Tallin so thoughtlessly abused by Bolsheviks and other morons. The mediaeval city walls still surround the town and there are literally dozens of ruined churches and cathedrals whose stone has at various times been nicked to build the houses of Visby.

There was once a Danish Prince in the 14th C called Valdemar, who when he came to the throne discovered that the only lands his father had managed not to lose were somewhere in Estonia - a long way from Denmark so he donned his chain mail, gathered an army of Vicious Viking warriors and set about recovering his kingdom and gaining a bit more into the bargain. He thought Gotland was a good place to start and so in about 1340 or so (not good with dates!) he invaded the island and killed off half the male population. The city was saved because they did not fight but the farmers and others from the countryside were practically wiped out.

We explored every inch of this place and it was lovely. Tiny cottages made of wood then tarred and painted with holyhocks growing out of the cobbles outside. Exiting (!) drainage systems on the rooftops to intrigue the architect and Botanical Gardens to please the green fingered. We found a stratigically placed Creperie on the junction of many roads and watched the world go by. George was particularly struck by the tall willowy blonds in their mini skirts - we spotted one who looked just as amazing as Madison in Splash; I was amused by the bolshy Swedish teenagers who show off their independence and originality by dying their hair black and sporting blond roots!

When the The Captain came over the tannoy yesterday evening he announced himself as "Hello everybody this is the BBC your Big Bald Captain. And for all you Ladies who have been writing to me to enquire if I am married I would say that I am not." .......Oh dear! This is the Butlins element I fear. Struggling with the Dining Room system on board ship again last night. Sometimes we are lucky and are show to a table with interesting or at least amusing people but last night we could barely make out what they were saying let alone have a conversation. And then the head waiter had the nerve to ask me if I am American!

Having a well earned day at sea today - I am feeling completely exhausted after four days of exploring on the trot. Perfect weather today - not too hot but lots of clear blue sky. Oh ...there is the Captain again chatting to us affably giving us the Barometer reading and temperature 24 degrees. Good forecast ahead for Gottenburg and Oslo. Our latitude and longitude and nearest land identity on Port and Starboard side. We are cruising at full speed of 19 miles per hour. Going through the Great Belt bridge at 4.30 this afternoon evidently - this is the other way out of the Baltic taken this time because the other way has become too shallow since we passed it last time due to the continuing high pressure causing the waters of the Baltic to flow out of this sea into the North sea.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb