DAYS 16-17 Swedish Lakes


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Dalarna County » Mora
August 12th 2019
Published: August 12th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Woke to a grey showery day & a 5.5 hr trip by private bus to the Swedish border & on to the village of Mora & a two night stay at the Hotell Fridhemsgatan. The outlook was mostly pine forest with a scattering of small communities.

Just over the border is the village of Sälen, known for its huge ski fields & slopes. The Vasaloppsleden Trail runs from Sälen to Mora (approx 90 kms) & is the course for huge annual races for cyclists in summer & cross country skiing in winter. The course has an important place in Swedish history as 500 years ago Gustav Vasa escaped invading Danish forces but later successfully led an uprising against the occupying power and became King. The trail follows the escape route & the races take place to honour his memory. Amazingly the cycle race was finishing as we arrived in town.

The town sits in the middle of the Swedish lakes region on the shore of two huge lakes that were formed by a meteorite strike and typifies the essence of the Swedish landscape, i.e. tiny country villages, deep-red log cottages, towering pine forests and rolling meadows.

Next day we had bikes available for the whole day but the only organised activity was a 20 km morning ride to the Dala Horse factory. The Dala horse is a traditional carved & painted wooden statue of a horse originating around Mora & mostly made as a toy for children but now has become a symbol of Sweden. I’ve never heard of them but Ruth remembers having one as a child.

The bikes were 3 gear city bikes & not the best maintained but we kept them for the day and 3 of us completed another 42 km circuit around the small lake. A lovely ride along very quiet roads and bike paths through small quaint villages.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Painted horsesPainted horses
Painted horses

Traditionally in red


Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb