August 21st - Slovakia


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Kosice Region » Kosice
August 21st 2008
Published: September 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

SlovakiaSlovakiaSlovakia

The High Tatras from the road
We headed out after breakfast relatively early on Highway 7 which heads due south to Slovakia. A word of advice for anyone wanting to take this route is wait a couple of years and it should be great, as it was there were roadworks all the way for about 100km. Every bridge was one lane with traffic lights controlling the flow so it took about 2 hours to reach the border. Once we reached Slovakia the roadworks finished and we cruised along smoothly. We bought a motorway sticker as we didn’t plan on spending much time in Slovakia as we felt there was not really a lot we wanted to see here. The motorway made a big zig-zag down the country but we thought that that was quicker than using the more direct highway and there were a couple of castles on the way. We passed just south of the High Tatra Mountain range which, at 2654m at it’s peak, looked pretty impressive as we were driving by but we didn’t stop. The countryside actually looked really nice and Slovakia might be a nice place to visit to go hiking or skiing in the winter but we weren’t stopping this time.
SlovakiaSlovakiaSlovakia

Spissky Hrad
We carried on and spied a neat looking castle not far from the road so we took a short detour to have a look. Spišský hrad was large and impressive with it’s white stone walls, we took photos and carried on. At the start of one of the motorways we were stopped for the first time by the police doing a random spot check. He spoke a little English but I very much doubt if he could read the insurance papers written in German! He looked at my license, checked the rego and motorway sticker and waived us on. We drove for most of the day and stopped for the night at a campsite at a place called Košice. It was very basic with an open area and a few old cabins fairly close to the motorway. The amenities were old but clean and they took Visa which was good because we had no Slovakian Korunas. We had dinner and showers and settled in for the night, another big drive tommorrow to Budapest.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

SlovakiaSlovakia
Slovakia

Spissky Hrad


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb