Departure from Budapest at night (retrospective)


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Bratislava Region
July 28th 2014
Published: July 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Darn it! Andrew has better jokes than us!

The internet connections, both Wi-Fi and mobile, were almost non existent in Bratislava, so this is actually posted from Vienna! Even in Vienna the connections are slow, and I might have to reduce the quality of the photos (shock horror!) to make it possible to get some posted .



Night time Budapest was as pretty as promised (see photos) with bridges and statues and public buildings beautifully illuminated. The ship sailed at 9 p.m., and is ridiculously smooth - if you shut your eyes you simply can't tell if it is moving or not! There was something of a party atmosphere with everyone up on the top deck, drinks in one hand and cameras in the other. The ship is so vast that you didn't have to struggle to find a spot at the rail to get a clear view of the beautiful sights. Lee, the jovial British entertainments manager, made us whoop and cheer under each and every bridge - not so cool! Never mind, we're on holiday after all!



The planners' decision to do the 15 hour trip to Bratislava overnight was a wise one as the wide waterways (river and canal) were monotonous in their uniform scenery of stone lined banks with trees behind (all the same height!). We were awake for one towering lock (about 70 feet deep) and watched in awe as the captain maneuvered this vast ship within inches of the concrete walls without ever actually touching! You could, and we did, reach out and touch the walls ourselves.

Carole says she's fine, even in Bratislava.

Photo Gallery

Advertisement



Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0731s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb