Leaving the Golden Ring


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia
June 5th 2009
Published: June 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe. - Anatole France



June 5, 2009, Friday, Sergiev Posad to the Region Tver Russia. 370 long, long kms. Today is a driving day, as we finish the tour of the Golden Ring” and begin our trek toward St. Petersburg.
A word about Language. During our travels, there have been times when the languages of various countries have baffled us, but at least we recognized the letters. The Russian language is based on the Cyrillic Alphabet, not the Roman, so our lack of understanding now has dropped to a lower level. We don’t recognize most of the symbols that make up the alphabet. When confronted with a sign, the brain wants to read …a word, instead an “error” message pops up.
Up until now, our travels have been independent, come and go when we want, stay longer, leave earlier, whatever we choose. So this business of traveling with a group and waiting and be subjected to “their” schedule has been a difficult adjustment. On the other hand, we would not want to be in Russia, traveling in an RV on our own. While communication is a problem, “in numbers there is safety”!


June 6, 2009, Saturday, Tver Region to Novgorod, Russia 200 km. The name Novogrod means “new town” but it was here by the 9th century. A tour bus picks us up and we are off to Vitoslovitsy Museum of Wooden Architecture, an open air museum of peasant houses and churches, to better understand survival of the harsh Russian winters, and of their dependency on wood, wood for houses, wood for heating, wood for tools, wood for toys, even wood for shoes! As we walked around this old village, a wedding party appeared and participated in some traditional ceremony. It was a hoot!
The Kremlin, a fortification, was first built in the 9th century, and later rebuilt with brick in the 14th century. The Cathedral of St. Sophia is the town centerpiece. During the Soviet days the church was turned into a museum of religion and atheism! Today services are again held here again. In the Russian Orthodox Church the congregation all stands, there are no pews, and no benches. It is solemn with lots of incense and chanting, and the priests disappear behind doors and then returns?
The Millennium of Russia Monument is one of this city’s most famous landmarks. It is a 300 ton sculpture. It depicts 127 figures…rulers, statesmen, artists, etc. The Nazis cut up this 16 meter statue, planning to ship it to Germany, however, they fled before this could be accomplished.
“Home” is the parking behind the Hotel Tourista, and we have electricity.





Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

LeninLenin
Lenin

You still see many statues


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0839s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb