Moscow - Red Square


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia
January 20th 2021
Published: January 20th 2021
Edit Blog Post

21st November 2020

Another enjoyable virtual trip to Moscow Red Square with Anna our tour guide.

One of Moscow’s & Russia’s – We entered through the Lions gate. The original gate was built in 1535 during the Ivan the Terrible reign, designed by Italian architect, Petroc Minor. Since several lions which were a gift from the Queen of England to Ivan the Terrible, lived inside the moat near the gate, the gate acquired the name the Lions Gate.

Once inside the square we passed Lenin’s mausoleum, St Basil’s Cathedral, & the Kremlin Walls. The Kremlin is separate from the square.

The square's name has nothing to do with communism or with the colour of many of its buildings. In fact, it comes from the word 'krasny', which once meant 'beautiful', and has only come to mean 'red' in contemporary Russian.

Today, the beauty of the architecture and the magical atmosphere belie the square's often brutal and bloody history.

It was 4pm Moscow time and during the 30 minute tour, daylight was fading and the whole square took on a different look when illuminated.

We went inside the large GUM departmental store that reminded me of Harrods from the outside all lit up.

Constructed at the end of the 19th century as a department store except for the years of Stalin's rule, when it was used as space for offices & small residential apartments. (GUM stands for 'Glavny Universalny Magazin' )

The interior had. glass-vaulted arcade and looked very festive with all the Christmas decorations.

Looking forward to my next tour with http://www.virtualtrips.io

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb