Russia sure is big.


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Urals » Yekaterinburg
July 31st 2008
Published: July 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well here we are in Moscow. We were so thrilled to get here after 72 hours non stop. The train was actually pretty good with lots of storage but about the 66 hour mark we all got really lethargic. The highlight was the station stops we could get off at to buy food from old ladies at the station.The boiled potatoes were particularly grand!!!
If I see another game of UNO or Yahtzee I will scream though!
Unfortunately we had to sort out our own Belarusse visas this morning so we had a terrible 2 hour wait at the embassy while a series of people pushed ahead with no one complaining. The Russians are a patient bunch for the main. Actually it has to be said the Russians we've met have been a very dour bunch. When the USSR folded it saw a huge new industry emerge in Russia - hair dye and shell suits. I kid you not!!!
We briefly popped into Red Square today but were too bushed so we'll go tomorrow. Luckily it was closed anyway (The Kremlin) with it being Thursday. Ailsa has filmed all her video so we tracked down another cassette - not bad considering how dated the video camera is! Visited Gorky Park but never again - serious disappointment all round. Loving the metro though - each station is a complete work of art. A bit like a grande old dame who's fallen on hard times.

Once again I'll try to add some photos. Thanks for the ,it's so good to feel connected!! Five more sleeps to go!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



31st July 2008

Smiles All Round
Hi All. Good to see the smiles all round, I can almost feel the serenity and family harmony from here. Wish we were with you... Enjoy the run into God's country! Love to all. Al et al
1st August 2008

Russia sure is Big
Sounds like a comment from George Bush!!
1st August 2008

Long Haul
72 hours is certainly a long haul although you all look cheery on the photos. Not too sure about the potatoes but the fruit looks good!
1st August 2008

Well Done
I am amazed that a train carriage full of Hart women has not resulted in a new episode of Poirrot or an international incident! The posted photos look as if you have all had fun. The journey will have to go back onto my list of things to do. I offered two honeymoon destinations to my fiance - The Trans-Siberian or Camping in Iceland. She chose death by cold instead of death by boredom and the rest is history.
3rd August 2008

Whow!
looks like you are having a great time and makes our holdiay in France look very mundane! I am expecting some top tips! I will be there to pick you up on weds - Roger has given me the time/train. Sadly no land rover now so you will have to squeeze in my car! hve you got loads of bags? Really looking forward to seeing you all.
3rd August 2008

Long train journeys
Well done thought our train journeys from US to Canada( both were late)were bad at 15hours and 16 hours but yours tops it. ( Least you could get off for food- micro waved pizza and hot dogs got wearing after a while)Hope you are all still speaking to one another!!!!!
4th August 2008

Russia v Wales
Its not that I am jealous or anything but your adventure is certainly putting my trip around Wales into perspective!!! Loads of love from me and the girls - Holly is really enjoying the blog! xxxx

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb