Arriving to Ekaterinburg


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Urals » Yekaterinburg
July 20th 2004
Published: October 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The second day in train went by in a matter of moments. Some chit chats, Trivial Pursuit games and few stops in villages. We got off the train to buy the fruits - forest strawberries and raspberries - from the locals that come to the platforms to sell it to the train travelers.

Towards the end of the day we were approaching Yekaterinburg… also the weather changed though. It was suddenly stormy outside. An hour later, eight o’clock Moscow time and ten o’clock local, as the train entered slowly the city’s train station, the sun came out from behind the clouds.

The train station here is very modern and new. Obviously recently renovated. With huge electric screens, even outside the train station, it is actually possible to see the train arrivals and departures from virtually every corner of the place or the parking lot in front of it.

We looked for metro which is not directly in front of the train station but several hundred meters to the left. Three stops and we were in the center. From there a long stroll towards the hotel, at least couple of kilometers. Even though by now it’s quite late, around eleven o’clock, the daylight is still holding on.
Useless to mention the curious looks that we provoked. Even the cops in the passing patrol car whistled to us with smiles on their faces. They didn’t stop so we presumed it was a positive form of greeting. All in all - they probably don’t get many tourists around here…

With some difficulties we managed to find the hotel. Where we thought it was supposed to be located, we saw a huge building with construction skeleton around it. At the first glance it appeared to be the construction area, but after we walked around it we managed to find the hidden entrance. It was indeed our hotel, and it was being renovated from the outside. But with relief we found out that inside it is already renewed. We checked in, dropped the bags, and went outside to the bar for some food. With a bit of struggle we ordered grilled meat and beer. Shortly after, another round of both. The tummies appreciated the meat after few days of noodles and cookies in the train. We definitely have to stock better for the next train travel. The bill was for 20€. Considering we all had double portion, thus in total food for eight - we were positively impressed.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.376s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 20; qc: 93; dbt: 0.1181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb