Arrival in Irkutsk


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Siberia » Irkutsk
August 7th 2006
Published: August 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sunset over the main squareSunset over the main squareSunset over the main square

Only photo we have of Irkutsk as it was constantly raining or too dark!
The train pulled in dead on time (after 5200 km! - just like GNER eh?!) in Irkutsk and we had our 1st shower in a while which was lovely. Went out to explore but it started thundering and absolutely belting down so we ducked into the central market. This is an enormous building packed with people and stalls selling everything - every type of meat, fish, fruit and veg, cheeses, antibiotics, electronics....a good place to keep us occupied as the rain carried on for many hours. We kept being given samples of various things which kept us going! When it stopped we went out for a wander and saw many of the wooden houses that Irkutsk is famous for. A lot of them were collapsing and in a bad state and we thought the ones we had seen from the train were better. Went to a blini cafe for lunch and had some blinis with jam which were delicious. We then tried omul (the fish native to Lake Baikal) for tea - we had heard it was supposed to be lovely - bit of a let down - it was dry and not that great and we were a bit disappointed. Irkutsk is a funny place - it seems a bit like you've stepped back in time there - a lot is old and in disrepair and instead of replacing things, they are patched together over and over - the buses look ancient and have big 1m diameter holes in the sides by the engine (we think to allow easy access for engine repair), all have flat tyres and groan and creak along the streets. Door handles that have been stuck back on fall off as you pull on them, pavements and roads have crater like holes in them....That said - they do have some electric buses which run a but like trams with the electric cables running above which seems like a good environmental idea.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb