Day 13: Halfway to Siberia


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Siberia » Irkutsk
September 25th 2008
Published: October 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 13: On the TrainDay 13: On the TrainDay 13: On the Train

We spent most of the time in our cabin. Tim did this alot. My diary is on the table. Got very full on the train.
Tried to hide Tim in an empty cabin last night because of his incessant snoring. Holiday ended when at 4am the train stopped somewhere in the middle of no where and our cabin was occupied by a very confused woman demanding her bed back.

Breakfast was a peasant affair of stale bread, delicious cheese and my own coffee recipe of instant coffee and condensed milk syrup.

Suffering from the 'Trans Siberian Time Warp' - all of the trains run to Moscow time, but in reality we should be 3 hours ahead. So while it is 9.30am Moscow time (and the perfect time for breakfast) it is really 12.30noon out here in Siberia. We decide to stick to Moscow time.

Market sellers board the train today selling woolen scarves and socks. "Nyet" to that we say.

Outside is like a Monet painting, lots of golden green, yellow and red trees and large plains of prairie grasses.

Uneventful 15 minute stop at a place called OMSK. Not much to report apart from the sausage in a pastry that Tim ate. We have also got into a routine with our Brown Hair guard who now shouts at us in
Day 13: OutsideDay 13: OutsideDay 13: Outside

Everything kind of looked like a version of this for about 3 days.
Russian when we need to get back on the train.

Lunch was some crackers and stale bread plus a snack of sunflower seeds.

About an hour from our next stop BARABINSK, which according the the guide book as "nothing much of interest". Here we feasted on warm pastries filled with spinach, one with cabbage and one with potato.

Next stop NOVOSIBIRSK, famous for being the capital of West Siberia with 1.3 million people and the home of Siberia's largest train station. Biggest city we have seen so far on the train, complete with roads and traffic lights.

Vodka was also cheaper, down to 200 Roubles ($20.00) a bottle. We decide to take it easy on the vodka tonight.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Day 13: OutsideDay 13: Outside
Day 13: Outside

Some of the buildings in the towns.
Day 13: OutsideDay 13: Outside
Day 13: Outside

Random sign out the window.
Day 13: OutsideDay 13: Outside
Day 13: Outside

One of the many villages we went past.
Day 13: Dining CartDay 13: Dining Cart
Day 13: Dining Cart

We broke up the days with visits to the dining cart. Here we were drinking tea and writing post cards.
Day 13: On the TrainDay 13: On the Train
Day 13: On the Train

Our bathroom. We always had to go when the train stopped! Tried to have sponge baths in here each morning.
Day 13: Train StopDay 13: Train Stop
Day 13: Train Stop

On one of our train stops. A restored old school locomotive.
Day 13: Train StopDay 13: Train Stop
Day 13: Train Stop

At OMSK. A Sign at the station.
Day 13: Train StopDay 13: Train Stop
Day 13: Train Stop

These markets were at virtually every train stop to. In 15 minutes we mastered ordering 4 beers and cheese.
Day 13: Train StopDay 13: Train Stop
Day 13: Train Stop

NOVOSIBIRSK Station. Couldn't see the train building as it was at night and freezing cold.
Day 13: Train StopDay 13: Train Stop
Day 13: Train Stop

Me, cold, at Novosibirsk, in front of our train.
Day 13: Night Time DrinksDay 13: Night Time Drinks
Day 13: Night Time Drinks

Drinking vodka in our cabin with friends.


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb