RUSSIA: Who are you sharing the sunrises with?


Advertisement
Europe » Russia » Northwest
January 7th 2020
Published: January 7th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Wildfires scorch and scour our Australian bushland as I rise to the 2020 New Year. Green can become flaming orange then become ashes and tears. Images of the ever spectacular Sydney NYE fireworks and simultaneous Fire & Rescue videos of sparks flying and endless flames leaping...homes and lives smashed or smouldering...wondering if our home backing onto National Park in Sydney's North will soon ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Sailing east...our cruise beginsSailing east...our cruise begins
Sailing east...our cruise begins

Neva River Sunset as we depart St Petersburg











TinaTina
Tina

Queen of the Panorama Bar




7th January 2020
My backyard 15.12.2019

Sharing sunrises.....
Firstly, our hearts go out to the people of Australia at this sad time. So sorry for the loss of human life as well as for wildlife there. Someone very close to me is from just south of Sydney and no fires there yet, but smokey skies prevail. As far as sharing sunrises, I always find it interesting to see who's up in very early morning. In October we sharing a perfect sunrise on the Erg Chebbi dunes of Morocco with fellow travelers -- beautiful, but no one really spoke to each other as I recall. A bit sad.
8th January 2020
My backyard 15.12.2019

Sharing sunrises...and Oz bushfires.
Thank you for your thoughts for those in Oz affected by bushfires, Syl. It is unprecedented and horrific and these areas will take years to recover. There is now the risk of extensive erosion in prime agricultural areas that are affected as the humus has been burnt leaving topsoil exposed. Fortunately the State and Federal Governments are throwing everything to fight the fires and provide logistic and extensive financial support. Even overseas firefighters have joined the fight. Unfortunately media often prefers negative soundbites to increase ratings which create false impressions of apathy which is false and galling. However, the destruction and loss of human and animal life and homes and property is frightening and real. Whole communities have been wiped out in a number of States and no end is in sight. While it is a direct result of extensive drought it is forcing issues of climate change to be addressed rather than be avoided, so that is a good thing. But it highlights a global issue of the consequences of climate change that Australia cannot tackle alone.
8th January 2020
My backyard 15.12.2019

Sharing sunrises.....
I am so pleased I was addicted to sunrises in Russia, Syl. My Panorama Slideshow and photos testify to the staggering beauty of the NW Russian rivers much of which I would have missed if I had not risen early. I may not be a morning person but wow...one does not need to speak to see!
7th January 2020

I am also not a morning person...
and have been known to pour orange juice into my cereal instead of milk. However, the picture you have painted of sunrises on the Neva with the early morning mist and the quiet contemplation of the other early morning risers would tempt me to rise early for this experience...but only if the result of jet lag! Back in 1998, when I was Program Manager of a joint environmental cleanup program with Norway and Russia I had the chance to take this cruise, but let my assistant go instead as a reward for his hard work. Perhaps I was too generous...
8th January 2020

I am also not a morning person...
You are one of the most travelled persons in the World, Bob and in 1998, when you were Program Manager of a joint environmental cleanup program with Norway and Russia and had the chance to take this cruise, but let your assistant go instead. Bob, you may be generous but in hindsight you must have had rocks in your head! I can only imagine how different it would have been in 1998 when Russia was in less prosperous times. Would certainly have been a revelation.
8th January 2020

Your dance moves are as graceful and smooth as your words
Hi Dancer, I'm sure your dance moves are as graceful and smooth as your words. Thank you for your blog.... .you make me envious of your way with words and storytelling. On another note I pray that you, Denise and your home stay safe from the fires... remember a friend in need is a friend indeed..... just shout. Until we meet again or your next blog stay safe both of you...from both of us...Simon & Liz.
8th January 2020

Your dance moves are as graceful and smooth as your words
Simon, I might have the dance moves but you had the camera. Your 40x zoom in your Sony video camera that could also take incredible stills. I hope they came out as well as expected. I look forward to seeing some of your pics. I rate my Panorama Slideshow as one of my best but twas hard to take a bad pic with such incredible backdrops. Denise and I had such a good time with Liz and you but I've gotta say our "Liar Liar" night was our greatest triumph.
8th January 2020

Beautiful pictures
And the strange similarities in pictures between the red hazy sun caused by the bush fires and those caused by early morning mists on the Russian rivers are well done. Two different worlds, two different causes, but the same sun. I am a morning person, or rather an any time person, at least as far as behaviour is concerned. You can wake me up in the middle of the night for no good reason and you will still find it hard to find me in a bad mood. But as far as my biological clock is concerned I sleep early and get up early-ish. Certainly when travelling. I find sunrise or dawn the most peaceful time of the day and the best time of the day to be honest, though I mostly don't have a camera on hand to capture the moment. So you probably would have found me on deck looking at the river and the landscapes, in my own thoughts, just dreaming away, with a smile on my face. Afterwards I would ask you for your pictures, as I would have forgotten my camera in my cabin ;)
8th January 2020

Beautiful pictures
I thank Travelblog that I have the medium to relive our journey over and over, record my thoughts and present my photos so my memories are preserved...'cos not being a morning person they would otherwise meld and blend into the hermitagesque repository that is my brain.,i. e they would largely be forgotten. And if you were with me on the deck, Ralf, you would run, no, sprint to get your camera so the incredible beauty of the Russian rivers in the early morning light did not fade into your dreams with only a smile on your face. Yet you are a morning person and I have met others whose camera was their brain...and great cameras they were too! I look forward to meeting you one day to test the water. I however admit, that as the ship was moving the sunrises were constantly evolving and as we were blessed with beautiful weather twas not hard to catch the dance of light at every turn.
11th January 2020

Beautiful blog and beautiful photos to accompany
Emma and I saw 2020 in free camping near Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park on NZ's South Island. Picture perfect next to the glacier waters of the lake crowned at the top by NZ's largest mountain with a line of supporting mountains as the backdrop to the other side of the lake. Sunset was stunning, there was not of wind rippling the lake, topping off a bright blue hot sunny day which had caught us out on our earlier walks and given us our own heating system for the night. In the dark wee hours of the morning the wind picked up, the contrast with the previous silence woke us a few times as we adjusted to the change. Slow to rise the next morning when we ventured a peak out of the curtains, the outside world looked sepia. We rubbed our eyes, nope still there. The only thing we have experienced similar was a partial eclipse. It was eerie. Our plans for the national park already complete we packed up and headed north on the gravel backs (because that is just how we roll, why take a highway when there is a perfectly good gravel road). We didn't see another soul until we finally hit the next town, but it felt like day hadn't broken. The news told us this was smoke from Australia's bushfires. All day it was eerie. On the plains it was like fog had gathered, obscuring the mountain backdrop. Emma kept muttering that it felt like Armageddon. As we headed up into the mountains it looked like it was raining on the tops. It wasn't, it was where the smoke was coming over the top of the Southern Alps. It gave NZers a very small but powerful insight into what Australia is going through and is likely no coincidence just 2 days later our PM announced we were sending further firefighting support. No doubt there will be more to come before the fire season is over and we can only hope your and Denise's house continues to be lucky. The destruction will continue long after beyond the loss of life, property, infrastructure, landscape and wildlife. The agriculture and tourism industries will be hit and no doubt in some areas and communities will never recover, and it is difficult to image how mother earth is going to recover such horrific ecological loss. We can only hope that the world is paying attention to Australia's tragic warning and finally make tackling climate change a priority.
12th January 2020

Beautiful blog and beautiful photos to accompany
We have heard the smoke from the Aussie East Coast fires had drifted to New Zealand, Marie. Your description of your eerie New Year in nature's South Island wonderland like a partial eclipse and Emma's equate of Armageddon is a poignant reminder that across the Tasman Sea in Oz in many areas it was just that. Sydney Harbour for days covered in smoke has been eerie as well. Thank you for your comments and well wishes. From our first meeting in the High Pamir in Tajikistan we have valued your friendship and thanks for keeping in touch.
11th January 2020

Music in the air and a New Year
Since you have traveled with us you know we are morning people but I like your phrase of "unspoken reflections". Some mornings you just need to look around and appreciate all the splendor. I've shared your early mornings and late nights, all night. You really are making me want to book our trip to Russia! We must go soon. I love the descriptions of all the people you've met along the way and yes Denise is a "connector".... "a gem". Our hearts are broken for all impacted by the fires.
13th January 2020

Music in the air and a New Year
This blog was to highlight the beauty of the Russian rivers MJ, which are spectacular in pre and post dawn morning light. I remember so fondly the time I thus had to allow the lifting mists, changing light and also the few folk and words shared that enhanced the spell. One has to be there to fully understand, but I hope my words and pics helped others to hop on and enjoy the ride.
11th January 2020
Pre-dawn

Morning has broken!
Absolutely stunning. You have captured another serene setting.
13th January 2020
Pre-dawn

Morning has broken!
One of my favourite pics MJ. My heart leapt when I saw it that morning...and minutes later it was replaced by other hues. I found it interesting how quickly the sun rose and how the light varied each morning.
11th January 2020
My backyard 15.12.2019

Eerie
A moment in silence.
13th January 2020
My backyard 15.12.2019

Eerie
That pic was from our place when the fires were 10 to 20 kms away. Often immersed in smoke with falling grit or ash but we have been lucky so far that flames have not been licking our back.
11th January 2020

The End
You always save some beautiful photos for this last page. Awesome.
13th January 2020

The End
All my blogs have a beginning and end MJ. Just like a dance routine...gotta save something special for the end!
12th January 2020
Pre-dawn

the morning glow
Your Russia travel blogs continue to make for an interesting read! This pic has eerie similarity with the apocalyptic South Eastern Australian sky that the media has been showing in the last few days. Just unbelievable destruction of forests and wildlife. Hope it abates soon.
15th January 2020
Pre-dawn

The morning glow
the morning glow I also noticed the similarity to the hues in my backyard pics, Hem. Pretty scary and they are predicting bushfires in Oz until about April, so no end yet in sight. I presume in USA you would only get snatches of how deadly our Aussie fires have been. About 2 days ago the house loss was 1,912. We get images of Californian wildfires, so if you can compare you know well how destructive they can get. In my photo I also love the way the light captures the ripples in the wake created by us cruising by. Thanks for commenting.
15th January 2020

Morning cruising
We were going in the opposite direction. Got an early morning (= pre-dawn departure) ship from Finland to Sweden. Thought it would be a quiet trip. What we didn't know was that shoppers head from Finland to Sweden on the boat to buy up cheap goods and resell them back home. We didn't get a cabin as it was a daylight trip getting to Stockholm about 6pm. In the breakfast room, there was an oompah band which started playing as soon as the boat left the quay - and the bar opened. The "shoppers" treated the occasion as though it were late evening and danced and sang along to the band and drank copious amounts of alcohol. It wasn't until about midday that they all crashed and went to their respective cabins to sleep off their roistering. Sylvia and I were ourselves exhausted by then as there was nowhere else on the boat to escape the partying. Don't mind a good party but not starting at 5:30 in the morning - at least not since I was a lot younger. Glad your morning experience was a lot more tranquil. We had two fires deliberately lit in the bush behind our house while we were away but, fortunately, the neighbours were keeping watch and the fires were extinguished with no significant damage. Take care for the rest of the fire season.
15th January 2020

Morning cruising
Great cruise story John. I'll have to remember the Finland to Sweden shop-a-thon...it seems in those parts a bit of excess of alcohol, a band and the passengers dancing along may be a customary way to spend a morning! I hope it was vodka for authenticity. On the fire front, we have been thinking of you from past experiences...hope they caught, drawn & quartered the arsonists. I once represented a minor that started the Marsfield fires some years back as a Duty solicitor. He didn't like me 'cos I wanted him strung up!!!
23rd January 2020

Like a fairy tale
Just like it came out of a fairy tale with that mist and all. /Ake
25th January 2020

Like a fairy tale
Something to look forward to Ake. Hope my pics inspire you.
5th February 2020

I am pleased I was tethered bc I could have been lost to the world when reading this blog...
My goodness - those panoramas and accompanying sublime blues from Pete Cornelius were mindblowing, immediately transporting me to the time & place - thanks for that! I wake up talking because when you have thousands of words to expel in a day there is no time to lose :-)
5th February 2020

I could have been lost to the world
Russian rivers at their best. Memories are what returns with us after travel. That I can relive the incredible beauty of life on the rivers with such an exhilarating soundtrack...panoramas of vistas that words cannot do justice...priceless.
17th February 2020

Drift Away
I love the way you tied in the time you were writing the blog into the days of actual travel. Great mental image of you throwing on a dressing gown to take sunrise pictures as you float steadily down the Volga. Your photo of the bird crying out against the dark read sky is hauntingly effective.
19th February 2020

Drift Away
Glad you joined the ride Tommy. I tried to capture the quieter moments. Drift away is a nice way to express it. Reminds me of the Dobie Gray song of the same name "Oh give me the peace boys and free my soul, I want to get lost in your rock & roll and drift away". Thank you.

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 16; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0963s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb