CRUISE TO THE WHITE SEA ON THE NAUTICA


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest
July 15th 2018
Published: July 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

SOLIVETSKY ISLANDS

These are six islands located in the White Sea just 150 km from the Arctic Circle. The islands have long been used as a place of retreat and a place of exile. The Solivetsky Monastery was seated in the 15 th century. It is located on Solivaetsky Island. It was originally built as a monastery but has always had prisoners. The wall are built of hug boulders 6 meters thick and 11 meters tall. The main buildings are connected by covered walkways. The Uspensky Cathedral was built in 1551-1557, the Preobrazhensky Cathedral (1556-1564) and the Annunciation Church (1596-1601) Chu4ch of St. Nicholas 1834. There were also sleeping rooms for the songs, a kitchen and a refectory and a water mill on the premises. Many people still visit Solovetsky. There are two ferries that run per day. There is also a workshop that makes crosses for churches throughout Russia.

But in the 20th century it was used as a brutal Soviet prison camp at which over one million people died. These were a mixture of political prisoners, criminals and people who just had the misfortune of being identified as enemies of the State. There is a museum on the grounds that details the horrors of those times. We didn’t visit that.

We had an interesting visit to the monastery and a beautiful day. It was mild and a little cool in the shade. I was able to purchase a small icon for david and Alida.



I am in Burguer King now I hopw I can get this to work


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb