Moscow


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
September 7th 2006
Published: September 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After an 8 hour overnight train journey we reached Moscow from St. Petersburg. This was our first experience of Russian trains and it was very positive. Arrived at the hotel at 6am, but couldnt check in until 10am, so we sat in the bar staring at the receptionist until 10am. We then slept until our guided tour at 2pm. I doubt we were the most enthusiastic tourists our guide had ever had. After being introduced to the scarily efficient metro system, we headed into the city centre. To say our tour was based heavily around Moscow's architecture would be a minor understatement - lets just say the woman could tell us when every brick was laid and by whom. Still the tourwas quite interesting. After a traditional Russian dinner of Pizza we headed back to the hotel.

Decided to go to the hotel bar for a drink, and met a gang of lads from Australia, America and Scotland preparing for a big night out. We were too tired to be tempted, but did share their vodka with them, for an uncountable number of toasts. (Typical Aussies managed to find bad vodka in Russia!) They were great fun all the same.

Next day we headed to the city centre sightseeing and to do all the touristy things. First stop was the Kremlin. We were too late to see the Russian crown jewels i.e the Armoury. So we made our way around seeing a number of beautiful churches plus the biggest bell and cannon in the world. Also saw Mr. Putin's office, but he didnt seem to be accepting vistors that day, so the guy with the AK-47 told us anyway.

Made our way through the Remberance Gardens, which had various Memorials to WWII, including an eternal flame and soil from the hero cities from the war. After a long changing of the guards we headed for Red Square, avoiding the notorious harrassing police, with some ducking and diving tactics. We really enjoyed Red Square as the pictures below will testify. Visited St. Basils Cathedral and GUMs department store, but were too late to see Lenin's body.

We arranged to meet Chris, an English guy, we bumped into for dinner beside the Bolshoi Theatre (which is wrapped in scaffolding). Chris had some interesting stories about his time spent in China smuggling bibles. He was good craic.

Thats European Russia done and dusted. Now begins our official Trans-Siberian journey.

Next stop the Ural Mountains and Yekaterinburg...











Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

GUMs Department Store 1GUMs Department Store 1
GUMs Department Store 1

Harrods of Moscow
Kilometre Mark ZeroKilometre Mark Zero
Kilometre Mark Zero

The very centre of Moscow


2nd October 2006

Good to see you having such a great time!
We've been enjoying your blog. If we should ever visit these cities we'll know where to drink and party!! Are there any cultural aspects to your travels?(only kidding). Please keep us informed through your blog; it's great fun watching you have such a great time.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0803s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb