Watch your pockets – you are in Moscow !!!


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
October 21st 2011
Published: November 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The devil is not so black as he is painted



Journey to Moscow was again very comfy and pleasurable on the 3rd class overnight train. We began to think that maybe we should not take the Kupe (2nd class) on the onward train to Novosibirsk as we felt quite good about the platzkart. We had some troubles finding the ATM to take some money out at the station and we missed the city train that Masha (our CS hosts) told us to take. We were lucky to get some attention and help from an English speaking woman and we were on our way to the suburbs in no time. The train station we needed in order to buy the next tickets was on the opposite side of the city so we decided first to head to Masha and Denis's and deal with the tickets later on.

Again, we were helped by some woman on the bus who directed us where to take. We had some coffee and small chat with our hosts, shower and we headed to the city to get the tickets. Again, someone looking very smart approached us at the street trying to help. This is
Small ChurchSmall ChurchSmall Church

near Red Square
totally opposite to what we had heard about Moscow!!! People were supposed to be unhelpful and non – english speaking in general but we met nothing but smiles, help offers and really nice attitude. We were trying to blend in and not to look like foreigners in case Police stops us and we managed to avoid any document checking and stops within the 3 days spent in Moscow. We had our papers and visa copied as by no way you should give them your passport. You may not get it back cheaply so dont push you luck ;-)

Train station and the process of buying tickets was a bit more complex then so far. We were directed from one ticket office to another and finally we were told that it was impossible for us to be understood. We were directed once again to the kind of information centre and finally some very helpful woman helped us with choosing the train, date, hour etc. Then we could buy the tickets at the machine (14,000 Rub – 280 GBP for both). As the weather was great (and you can never be sure how long it would last in Winter) we decided
Christ The Saviour ChurchChrist The Saviour ChurchChrist The Saviour Church

Hard to believe that 15 years ago it was a swimming pool
to walk towards the Kremlin area and see the long awaited Red Square. I remembered my father coming back from his Russian Work Contract in 80's and the photos of the St. Basil Cathedral so I always had this thing for seeing this place by myself. There were some celebtrations taking place next day in the city so we could not walk around the square at all. That made us walk though the famous GUM shopping centre that was just amazing on its own hhaha. Not because of the Prada, Gucci etc. shops but because of the architecture of the place. It used to be gastronome – big grocery shop at Soviet time and you can still vist an old soviet looking like shop with bubbles full lemonade (probably only people from Soviet Block Coutries can actually remember this from their childchood). So far we did not feel any danger at any of the tube stations, bus stands etc. so we started to wonder if we were that lucky that we saw no danger or we just switched off our common sense for not trusting strangers;-)

We had great evening with Masha and Denis, drank some wine, talked long hours (till 2 am) and saw some of the Denis work (he is working in movie industry). Next day they decided to go with us to show us around and we headed to the Vorobiovie Gory Park , where there are amazing views over the city and also the biggest Russian University that was build in exactly the same style and look as the Palace of Culture in Warsaw (and 7 other buildings in Moscow ordered by Stalin). Then we headed to the Christ The Saviour Church with impressive golden copulas and amazing interior. It is hard to believe that this place was 'just' an open swimming pool only 15 years ago (or maybe not just - but the biggest open swimming pool in Russia). It was a church prior to Soviet era, then destroyed by Stalin as many other beautiful buildings and then rebuild again in 90's. It looks authentical and old so was really surprised to hear from Denis that this is the place where he had his swimming lessons when being teenager. There is another church underneath as well that looks much older and even more original. We went around the Red Square again and it was already getting dark so we headed home. Cooked pasta carbonara that night and we had a blast again with Masha and Denis. Next day was a lazy one but not intentionally. We even went up to the bus stop but nothing came for more than an hour so we went back home and spent some time at internet and doing photos.

Overall we have not seen much of Moscow – just main sights but we felt really welcomed and safe. Only when we were on the way to the train station on Sunday we suddenly noticed 'those suspicious looking' guys appearing from every corner, randomly standing and watching you and your belongings. I must say I felt really uncomfortable with them standing soo close and probably trying to figure out how to take something of us. When I stared at them for a moment and got them thinking I was seeing what they were trying to do – they were walking away.

So no drama stories from Moscow, only great experiences and excellent company ;-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Small ChurchSmall Church
Small Church

somewhere near Kremlin
Russian DollsRussian Dolls
Russian Dolls

sadly we did not come around to buy one ;-(


8th November 2011

Great to share your adventures with you!
Sounds like an amazing time so far. Si actually getting technological to follow your blog - and be v. jealous of the fantastic photo opportunities. Great pics!
11th November 2011

deja vu
Hey, guys! You come from the foretime? :) Update your information about Russia! The police already 5 years does not stop anyone.
12th November 2011

thanks but...
We actually saw them doing it next to us - but not to us - many times;-) Sorry if that upsets you but it is the reality we saw. thanks for reading;-) Cheers

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb