From Russia with love


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
September 15th 2007
Published: September 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well we saw a Peugeot 307 with it's name changed to 007 but I guess James Bond would be more subtle than that!

So we've come a long way since Helsinki and (while touching lots of wood) everything is going quite smoothly apart from a rather frightening ride from the airport in St Petersburg. Had our own apartment about 5 mins from the Hermitage which was large if a little cold but the bathroom was a big improvement on the last one with even a washing machine and a hairdryer.

I (Sarah) was in Russia in 1988 and while I don't remember much in detail it feels like a different place - then there were virtually no shops and lengthy queues everywhere. Now there's every designer shop you can imagine plus the international fast food chains and lots of well dressed people and large cars. However, around 20% of the population live on less than $40 a month so the end of communism hasn't been good for everyone.

We were well and truly Hermitaged on Wednesday - spectacular place, endlessly glitzy rooms with beautiful (and some not so beautiful) art, sculpture etc. It goes on for ever but at least that means you can get away from the huge tour groups. Each room has a dozing babushka wrapped in a large scarf who, I presume, is supposed to stop you stealing things though I'm not sure what they'd do if you tried. After a while I tried to see if I could get one of them to smile at me but they weren't having any of that. Where are all those National Trust ladies when you need them?

Our other big event in St P was Swan Lake - not quite the Bolshoi (or Matthew Bourne!) but we'd have to come home next week if we paid those prices. Still, it was rather beautiful, apart from the Japanese tour groups who could not understand that they should not take photos, even if they had almost had their camera confiscated by the lady on the door already. I pirouetted all the way home in the rain!

We're beginning to get our heads round the Cyrillic alphabet, at least enough to identify important words like toilet (don't ask!) and cafe. We have even successfully negotiated metro, bus and train but in spite of, rather than because of, any assistance - very few people are keen to help. We did have a lovely guy drive us to the station last night who was doing a Masters on Prince Albert - not what you'd expect from a taxi driver!

The overnight train to Moscow was rather uneventful but we were amused by the announcements in English before we left - a 1950s style lady who said 'Welcome Aboard' to finish! All quite comfortable, once we'd worked out where to put the bags, and a good night's sleep had by both of us. Now just waiting to be able to get into our next apartment.

Hope everyone well at home. For those of you that haven't spotted it, you can register to receive an email when we update the blog so you don't have to keep checking (cos I realise that you are all waiting excitedly for our next posting!). Be great to hear from you....

S & H x


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



22nd September 2007

All I've read so far is Helsinki and Moscow and already I want to make those my two next hols. It sounds great and you've only been gone about a week. Anyway, no hols for me until I sell the flat - at the moment I've got flats in both Eastbourne and London, which is a little extravagant. Best wishes, Sarah H.
22nd September 2007

I meant St Petersburg, not Moscow. I was confused - it's all abroad isn't it?

Tot: 0.34s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 80; dbt: 0.2419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb