Arrived in Moscow


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
July 5th 2007
Published: July 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello all,

We have both arrived without hassel into Moscow - a huge, hectic, almost overpowering city of 15 million people living in what looks like hundreds of solid high rise apartments across a city that one can't see from one side of to the other - even from the plane. We had a restful day on Tuesday and got out and about yesterday... braved the metro at peak hour (Brian said he had come from the wild back country of Alaska with only bears to contend with to a sea of people - so crowded that one had to shuffle along else be trampled to death! "Give me the wild any day!"). Our accommodation has been good, simple but clean and the people are very helpful. The country does not have a tourist information centre but is certainly on the road to commercialisation and consumerism with lots of American stores everywhere and Japanese cars all over the road... Spent 8 hours walking around Red Square and saw the main highlights of the city. The streets are very wide (8 lanes) and the buildings huge, soild and up to 20 stories high. Are overbearing, kind of heavy and not with character or history about them. We will get a tour of the Kremlin on Saturday (it has been closed for security reasons since the bombing in the UK). This afternoon and for the next couple of days we are heading out of town to a village called Suzal (about 4 hours away) for some of the old traditional Russia, culture and hospitality... we will see! Not much more to say at this stage except it is tricky to find an internet cafe and the banks don't like our plastic (so that has been fun!). Hardly any english spoken here at all and the the keyboard has funny little squiggles all over it! Will try and update this from St Petersberg in about 5 - 6 days... Brian's boys are in Jeanue (capital of Alaska), hopefully catching lots of fish and will be heading to Toronto soon. They all had a great time and managed to keep their limbs intact!

Advertisement



11th July 2007

Romantic Russia
Hi guys You sound shell shocked by the enormity of Russia/Moscow and I can totally understand why! Speaking and reading russian made things alot easier for us (thanks mum) and I have forgotten how difficult it can all be. I hope that as you become accustomed to this foreign place you have some wonderful experiences. The long nights in St P are pretty special and I hope you enjoy strolling the never ending boulevards and canals. take care Lydia

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb