RUSSIA: Yuri Gagarin...The First Man in Space...When does First become Second or a Dead-Heat tie?


Advertisement
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
May 23rd 2020
Published: May 23rd 2020
Edit Blog Post

The USSR was the first to send a satellite into orbit around the Earth on 4 October, 1957 with Sputnik 1 followed by Sputnik 2 on 3 November 1957 with Laika the dog onboard. So marked the start of the Space Age and the USA-USSR Space Race. The Americans were upstaged...their Vanguard satellite still in development...yikes...does that mean the Russians could carry a ballistic payload? On 31 Janu... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Sergei Korolev 1907-1966Sergei Korolev 1907-1966
Sergei Korolev 1907-1966

Soviet Space designer
Tsolkovsky design rocketTsolkovsky design rocket
Tsolkovsky design rocket

Interplanetory theorist 1897-1935
Tsolkovsky design rocketTsolkovsky design rocket
Tsolkovsky design rocket

Way ahead of its time



Volkov 1Volkov 1
Volkov 1

Gagarin's spacecraft









23rd May 2020

The Space Race
Wow, thank you for providing an overview of the space race between the US and Russia. Once more I realise how flawed our history lessons in school were. We talked so much about the West and so little about the East. We never learned of the many successes that Russia celebrated with their missions into space. And it must have been a very special experience to meet a real cosmonaut!
23rd May 2020

The Space Race
Thanks for reading and commenting Katha. Having some knowledge of the contribution of the Russians to space research, innovation and the massive achievements in the Space Race reminds us that without it we would not have the astounding progress in space exploration to date. It takes vast amounts of money and without the Cold War USA versus USSR who knows if we would even have landed on the moon!
24th May 2020

Thanks for the interesting history lesson about the space race...
You mentioned Gen. Thomas Stafford, and I thought I had seen that name. It turns out he lived here in Woodland Park. There is a sign as you enter this town that states that he lives here!
24th May 2020

Thanks for the interesting history lesson about the space race...
My pleasure, Bob. I find it fascinating. Considering your status in Woodland Park, you might come across Gen. Stafford. You could ask him how to do "The Space Handshake" as a conversation starter!!!
24th May 2020

Space Exploration and Politics
It is always good having a little competition to push the limits. The race was on. We live near NASA and on occasion can see the air trails from the liftoffs. Recently, a lot of Space X launches have been going up. The Hubble is an amazing piece of equipment. Thanks for the reminder of the space race details. MJ
24th May 2020

Space Exploration and Politics
It must be a source of inspiration and pride to have Cape Canaveral near your back door MJ. I hope your local news shares each takeoff on TV and media so the public can continue to be involved. In Oz we just get snatches but we hope to get footage of Elon Musk's latest Space X liftoff on 27 May being the first to launch astronauts into space from US soil since 2011. Hope you'll get to see it live. That would be awesome.
24th May 2020

Endless fascination
From the Dangerous One: Growing up in the States, the launch of any manned spacecraft was an incredibly momentous event. I can remember watching in school as our teacher would bring a black and white TV from her home for us to view. The space race was truly amazing to see what man could really do......I wonder what's on the horizon???
24th May 2020

Endless fascination
It amazes me Dangerous One how much was achieved in early space exploration considering the early stages of computer technology was nothing like it is now. Yet the Space Race had a large role in such breakneck innovative development. As time goes by the saying "the sky is the limit" is becoming an understatement. Maybe it should be "the sky has no limit!"
24th May 2020

One small step for man....
Excellent documentary Dave; a space race revisited. And you are absolutely right - the first of first is always remembered. I am curious when we can land in Mars and Venus - not sure if I could see that in my lifetime.
24th May 2020

One small step for man...
Hi Tab. I should have mentioned the vital role of Australia's Parkes Radio Telescope in the first moon landing that ensured the World had the live TV pictures of that historic event. The Russian cosmonaut told us Canada is also involved in the international space research projects. I am aware Canada has a role in providing robotics for the International Space Station including Canadarm3 and is involved in the Lunar Gateway project. But Trump has recently declared the Artemis Accords will “reinforce that space resource extraction and utilization can and will be conducted.” The 1967 Outer Space Treaty prohibits the “national appropriation” of the moon and other “celestial bodies”. Trump thinks USA can give private companies exclusive access to such resources. The Artemis Accords have already been condemned by Russia as a blatant move to remake space law in favour of the U.S. Will this affect the cooperation of Russia with USA that began with the Space Handshake in 1975? It will be interesting what the future holds in these areas...and whether Canada will be dragged along by USA to just do what it is told. It is said Canada needs to think of itself as a pilot, not a passenger, when it comes to decision-making about the future of space. Food for thought!!!
25th May 2020

...hoping that victory & international collaboration continues
Wow David - that was a brilliant read, enthralled from beginning to end - I must add, I have enjoyed the extensive discussions we have had whilst you were writing this blog, to be able to condense all that you know & have learnt is quite a skill. I was blown away that so much was achieved in such a short period of time in history, each victory becoming the stepping stone for the next... hoping that victory & international collaboration continues.
25th May 2020

...hoping that victory & international collaboration continues
To be able to discover and share a taste of the Russian contribution to the early development of space exploration has opened my eyes to the heavens like never before my love. So often we hear Western perspectives or preconceptions and so often our shared travels blow us away when we discover what is beyond and awaiting us on other sides. I fear international commercial self interests may override the victory and benefits that international space collaboration provides. And lets face it...we know the global perils we faced in the Cold War...as we go forward do we want Russia not to be by our side?
25th May 2020

...standing on the shoulders of those that precede
On pondering the contents of your blog I conclude that by standing on the shoulders of those that precede you allows one to reach the heights of our dreams & beyond...
25th May 2020

...standing on the shoulders of those that precede
Well said my love. Yet history teaches us that man does not learn from mistakes of the past. While the Sun shines will it see humanity's future endeavours and smile? "Together we must learn how to compose difference, not with arms, but with intellect and decent purpose." Dwight D. Eisenhower
30th May 2020

I was an Apollo 11 junkie
Hi David & Denise, As we progress though the current events Simon and I both hope you are keeping well. We are, although we not enjoying the cold weather and having our wings cut. We do however continue to look forward to future travels. This is our 1st full time autumn in Melbourne since 2015 and we have winter on our doorstep. BRRRR!!! Thank you so much for your blogs. They are always so informative. Your latest blog is packed with information and such an interesting read. I was an Apollo 11 junkie saving all the newspapers at the time. However, although I had heard of the Sputniks, Laika the dog, Yuri Gagarin and the 1st spacewalk all the other must have passed me by. Your comment about the Americans saying that the Cosmonaut Museum has better exhibits than the Kennedy Space Centre I totally agree. I could have spent hours in there trying to absorb all the displays and information. Mind you at the Kennedy Space Centre we did get to go out to the Apollo launch pad and into the mission control centre rooms and those things were very special as they were frozen in time. Got up to watch the Space X launch and was disappointed at the ABC coverage and was channel surfing to find a better one when the new flash came up. Oh well that's life as we know it. Keep well and safe. Kind regards, Liz
30th May 2020

I was an Apollo 11 junkie
So good to hear from you Liz. Now we have seen the impressive Russian contributions at the Cosmonaut Museum in Moscow we fellow space junkies should visit the Kennedy Space Centre in Florida like Simon & you have. But will it ever be safe enough to visit USA again...health wise?
30th May 2020

thanks again for the updates
Hi Denise and David, Thanks for being such good correspondents.... rather showing up Wolf and me!! Hope you are now out and about, although I think NSW isn't quite as free as we are - however given 4 or 6 sailors from a recently berthed ship are now in isolation with CV19, maybe we will go back to a few weeks ago? Who knows. Hope this finds you both well. And thanks again for the updates. Glenda and Wolf
30th May 2020

thanks again for the updates
Thank you Glenda for keeping in touch. My pleasure to post these blogs to bring back shared images and memories and keep them in focus.
30th May 2020

All the best from the West
Hi Denise and David, Thanks for the detailed write-up and the photos; enjoyed both greatly. Trust you are well and busy. All of the best from the West, Wolf
30th May 2020

All the best from the West
If ever there was an adventurer on our trip it was you, Wolf...the places you have been! Hope you saw your own space handshake pic among the photos. Thanks for commenting and watch this space. Our cruise hasn't finished yet.
18th July 2020

Blogging from Space
Your blog got me thinking how cool it will be when we have first travelblog written here by a tourist who has been to the moon or international space station. What a treat you guys must of had to be briefed by an actual Russian cosmonaut. I once had placed my bare elbows down on a bar of dubious repute only to have my skin dissolve and begin to shed away. Strange experience to say the least!
29th July 2020

Blogging from Space
Would be cool indeed to blog from space Tommy, but with the confines of the economic forces that would wish to control such communication, who knows! Placing your elbows on a bar of ill refute and your skin dissolve and shed away...that's a real yeeka situation. My peeling hands only got relief from pawpaw ointment in Uzbekistan...no relief in Russia then an unexpected cure in an unexpected source and location...a freaky experience indeed!!!
25th August 2020
Descent Module Soyuz 37

Some notes on space and astronomy and stuff
Actually largest scale model of the solar system in the world can be studied in Sweden. Literally, in all of Sweden. The center, the sun, is in Stockholm, the planets and other objects can be found in various places from the very south to the very north in Sweden. This year we visited Pluto, Neptune and Ixion. Next year we will probably see more objects/sculptures that are part of Sweden Solar System. Have you seen the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington DC? I can recommend it. It is awesome. /Ake
26th August 2020
Descent Module Soyuz 37

Some notes on space and astronomy and stuff
Many other reasons we must visit Sweden, Ake. And if we do we would like to see Emma & your good self. As Christmas 2020 approaches I will have to pull out my large telescope as I hear Jupiter and Saturn will be able to be seen together with the one lens. I hope you have that opportunity in the Northern Hemisphere as well.

Tot: 0.343s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 18; qc: 37; dbt: 0.2909s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb