Russia Corruption "may force Western firms to quit"


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow » Noginsk
March 15th 2013
Published: March 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

1. How is Russia's economy being affected negatively by corruption?

2. According to the article, what are the different examples of ways that corruption/bribery takes place in different parts of the world?



1. Russia's economy is being horribly affected by the amount of corruption inside their country. International rates Russia 146th out of 180 nations in its Corruption Perception Index, saying bribe- taking is worth about $300 billion a year. Extortion by corrupt officials in Russia has got so bad that some Western multinational corporations are considering pulling out altogether, the head of a U.S anti-bribery group said in an interview. Even IKEA said last year it was halting further expansion in Russia because of the unpredictable character of administrative procedures in some regions. These companies are fearful that they cannot run their businesses without having to pay bribes to these officials. They are scared they're going to get their offices burned down. These bribes go to officials to stop them from abusing their office.

2. Corruption takes place in different ways across the world in different ways, such as, China. China describes corruption as an "inverted pyramid," with most bribery at the top while India is the opposite, with corruption rampant at lower levels but tapering off higher up.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb