More Neptun Life


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Muntenia » Bucharest
September 20th 2006
Published: September 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Dinner BuffetDinner BuffetDinner Buffet

Notice the meat-stuffed meat.
The Food
The food in Ro is very good and an Akins Dieter’s dream. There is meat at every meal and quite often there is meat-stuffed meat available! It is common to have an assortment of cold cuts in the breakfast buffet each morning. Also found at every meal are red ripe tomatoes, cucumber and potatoes. Lettuce is rare, but cabbage and slaw are plentiful.

At the Hotel Cocor at dinner each night, we were entertained by a live band. They had an amazing way of transitioning from Elvis to the Carpenters to Captain & Tenille very smoothly. One evening, the group of students stayed in the hotel café to dance. The band let the students karaoke. It was quite an experience to hear my Romanian teammate singing a beautiful rendition of “Strangers in the Night.” He was very good! Next up to sing was American Olympian Crystie Gaines (one of our students). She brought down the house with Pointer Sisters “I’m so Excited” and Gloria Gayner’s “I will Survive.” She is the proud winner of four Olympic gold medals in track and field and is a terrific singer.

Dogs
One problem Ro has yet to tackle is the
More DinnerMore DinnerMore Dinner

Here is more of Buffet. There is also many breads and cheeses available.
stray dog population. Like last year there are many dogs roaming the streets and beaches. Almost all are small and harmless and unlike last year, there were no incidence of biting. The hotels have fences around them to keep out the dogs, but we did have a puppy (I named Dragos) that live in the pool courtyard. I adopted him for the three days. I wonder how long he gets to stay before he gets kicked out for becoming a dog.


Onward
We have left the sea and have now arrived in Bucharest. Three of us rode in a car with a Romanian student in lieu of riding the bus. That moved saved us over two hours! Romanian cars drive much faster and can pass others easily, unlike our bus pulling a luggage trailer!

I will have more info on Bucharest on my next blog. Things are very crazy here, as the city is preparing for Francophone conference. There will be heads of state and prime ministers from 61 French-speaking countries. Led by Jacques Chiraq, I’m sure it will be very pro-American! I hate to miss it. Jacque will be staying in my hotel (the Sofitel), after
DancingDancingDancing

Romanians dancing the night away.
I am gone. Some of our professors had planned to stay, but now must leave, as no one will be allowed in the building while he is here. That will be great for business!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

"Dragos""Dragos"
"Dragos"

My sweet new puppy.
Crystie GainesCrystie Gaines
Crystie Gaines

The back-up singers help the guest when needed. Crystie did not need help!


21st September 2006

Gee, Cindyrella - your job looks so tough...all that dining and dancing. Can you bring Dragos home for me? Mona thinks he is hot.
22nd September 2006

Loving the travelblog...
Hey happy traveler...glad to see that all is well! I sent you an email to update you on the homefront - looks like the fam is in good shape, but are looking forward to your return. David wore your name tag (proudly) at the second grade gathering - we missed you. Can't wait to hear more stories...safe travels... Kelsey

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb