Romania Day 2


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Muntenia » Bucharest
July 31st 2008
Published: August 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Brasov


BrasovBrasovBrasov

Tampa Mountain and Brasov behind me
Romania Day 2 - Brasov

We woke up to a rooster's crowing and dogs barking. I guess a typical country style wake-up call! 😊 It was a gorgeous summer morning. We had some breakfast at our balcony and enjoyed the warm morning sun. About 10 am we headed to downtown Brasov.

Brasov has many interesting places to see and visit. We started by walking along the pedestrian street (Republicii) towards the council square. Along the street there are several small stores and restaurants. Good places for shopping and relaxing. The council square is big and surrounded by beautiful houses. One of the interesting landmarks of the town is The Black Church. This Lutheran cathedral dates back to 1477 and is the Gothic style monument of the town. The church was partially destroyed during a great fire in 1689. The fire burned its walls black and afterwards people started calling the church the Black Church. There is a small entrance fee and although it was under restoration, it was worth visiting.

After seeing the church we followed the road Gh. Baritiu to reach a tiny street called Dupa Ziduri behind the city defence wall. Despite the hot weather we
Brasov  council plazaBrasov  council plazaBrasov council plaza

The beautiful center of the town
walked along the street which follows the little canal and then climbed up the hill to reach the Black Tower, one of the watch towers still standing on the northern hill. The view from the tower over the city was beautiful. The tower has been recently renovated and can be easily spotted because of its pyramid shaped glass roof. We continued walking in the woods towards the White Tower, the other watch tower. It is high on the hill and one must climb some 200 steps up to it. We walked down those 200 steps because we came from the Black Tower - i would say it is the easier way to visit these towers.

After the watch towers it was certainly time for a cool drink before heading to Tampa mountain and cable car station. We can't recommend any certain restaurant or bar - they all looked like oases of refreshments to us!

The Tampa mountain is 900 m above see level high and has a large TV transmitter antenna and restaurant on top. You can have the best view of Brasow from the top of the mountain. You can either take a cable car or walk
Tampa MountainTampa MountainTampa Mountain

View over Brasov from top of Tampa Mountain (next to the sign of Brasov)
up to see the views. We decided to take the easier way and ride the cable car. It cost 10 lei (about 3€) and it was all worth it! The view over Brasov was very nice! We took pictures, enjoyed the view for a while and headed then for lunch at the restaurant. The food was good as was the beer! And the bill was very reasonable.

After we came down from the Tampa mountain we walked to see Ecaterina Gate and the narrowest street in eastern Europe called Strada Sforii. The street was built during the early 13th century and you can touch its side-walls with both hands at the same time!

It was time to leave Brasov and start heading towards Sighisoara and Targu Mures. We had spent 6 hours in Brasov and were very pleased with the city. This is certainly the city you want to visit if travelling in Romania!

More information about Brasov at http://www.ghid-brasov.ro/index.php#.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The narrow streetThe narrow street
The narrow street

The narrowest street in eastern Europe


Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0924s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb