Travelling Back in Time : Maramures


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Maramures » Maramures » Baia Mare
May 30th 2007
Published: August 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Vegetable Patch come HomeVegetable Patch come HomeVegetable Patch come Home

We based ourselves in Alexandro and Lucias garden for a few days...
Botiza

Botiza is a little village in northern Maramures, off a road, off a road, off the main road. When we got to Botiza we took a side road and found a nice guesthouse where we asked about parking up our van. The said 5 euros to camp in their garden and to use thier bathroom and shower. We had just managed to park the van between the spud patch and the plum tree when our hosts, Alexanderso and Lucia had poured us a glass of thier home made plum brandy (palincă) and invited us to sit down with them and their guests for a drink. Conversation was a little slow as we have no Romanian and their only forign language was French, so had to rely on what Shilpa remebered from French in school. With pointing, nodding and the brandy we manged a good conversation.

We based ourselvers in Alexanderso and Lucias garden for a few days and explored the local area by foot and by bike. We hiked over the green hills through lush meddows full of flowers to the village of Lued in the next valley. Navagation was a bit difficult but we got some direction and help from the locals who seemed a little baffled at the fact that we were walking the hills for recreation! Walking these hills was normally a chore for them to get to and from work.

On the walk we passed people working in their fields with hoes, scythes, rakes and forks. The women, young and old, were weeding their vegatable fields with hoes and the men cutting the meddows with scythes and piling the hay on horsecarts or haycocks.

It was amazing to walk along and in every field and see farming carried out by the whole family in, what to us, is such an old fashioned way.

Our greeting of "Buna Seia" (Good Day) was usually met by a big response and wave from the fields. Walking around here has felt like walking in a different time and in a way it has been. Allthough not having a lot of money the families here seem to have nice slow paced life and plenty of food from their land, and always seem to have a smile on thier faces. Quite a contrast to the rest of Romania we found.

On our return journey we stopped
Dara not quite fitting in with the localsDara not quite fitting in with the localsDara not quite fitting in with the locals

...I think it was because I didnt have a cool hat like theirs!
in the local shop come pub with the old fellows for a beer, and enjoyed sitting back and watching the village life go on around us.



We are truely off the beaten track up here.....We saw a group of French people 2 days ago but other than that we've not seen any other tourists since leaving Camping Eldarado.



Thunder storms, Curry and Christy Moore
We've had some crazy weather in Romania, Sunny days of over 30 degrees while on our 5 hour hike over the hills and then when we were ready to relax outside in the evenings we got massive thunder storms. That night it was so bad we were confined to our van, but we were very happy with a great curry, few local beers and Christy Moores box set. Not sure what Alexanderso and Lucia thought of Christy blasting out the windows of the van.




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Cabbage, Tomatoes, and more CabbageCabbage, Tomatoes, and more Cabbage
Cabbage, Tomatoes, and more Cabbage

We had to improvise on all our dishes to use cabbage and tomatoes. There is no supermarket here, Everthing is bought at the local market which was fun. No out of season vegetables imported from Israel here! Shilpa handed the equivelent of 50cents and got a massive bag of strawberries! yum!
FlowersFlowers
Flowers

Shilpa loving all the flowers in the Meadows.
MudMud
Mud

After the thunder storm we had the path was a bit muddy.
BlindBlind
Blind

Shilpa lost her contact lens on the cycle so we stop at the pub/shop to correct her vision!
Shop and PubShop and Pub
Shop and Pub

Left hand side is the Shop, Right hand side is the Pub!
The Merry Cemetry of SapantaThe Merry Cemetry of Sapanta
The Merry Cemetry of Sapanta

These wooden headstones are carved with a picture and humerous poem portraying an important aspect of that persons life. The happiest cemetry we have visited, even though we hadnt a clue what the poems said.
Confused Phone...Confused Phone...
Confused Phone...

...we were so close to the Ukraine border up here that Shilpas phone thought it was in the Ukraine.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb