Vila Nova de Gaia, home of the Porto!


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Vila Nova de Gaia
January 6th 2013
Published: January 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

From Porto to Vila Nova de Gaia


When you're in Porto, you just can't leave the city without go to Vila Nova de Gaia!

On the other side of the river, there is "Vila Nova de Gaia", and in fact, it's in here that the Porto is made. It's not from the city called Porto.

You can access this city by the famous bridge called "Dom Luis", by down or up the bridge, in fact, you can cross it near the river, or take a funicular to go up and walk the bridge from the up.

Once the bridge crossed, you have all the cellar wine, Ferreira, Taylor's, Cavem, Sandeman...If you to go Cavem or Taylor's, the visit cost 3€, it include the guid (speaking the language you chose), and the tasting of 3 wines for each persons, it can be more or less.

For the others cellar wine, the cost depend, but in Ferreira or Sandeman it's more expensive.

The river who separates the 2 cities is called "Douro", you can take a typical boat where wine is transported, it's about 10€. If you have time, you can rent a car and follow the Douro to see a lot of typical village and all the vineyard where grape are picked for the Porto.

The city had been build on a hill, so if you want to go to Taylor's for example, you have to walk in narrow lean streets ! They explain us that before, there was no seawall, so the water reached the quay and the cellar wine was inundated. So the cellar wines were built high up of the hill.

Now,a seawall is present, so no problems.

If you want to go to a gift shop, it's here in Vila Nova de Gaia that you have to go, and not in Porto, it's way cheaper! The famous rooster cost half the price or even less, for example.

So, if you're in Porto, don't hesitate, and go to Vila Nova de Gaia, you don't need a car or else, just by walk through the bridge, enjoy !


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb