A mix of sunshine & Cloud


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Madeira » Funchal
May 2nd 2018
Published: May 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

A mix of sunshine & clouds.

Yesterday the morning started with beautiful blue skies, there is a lovely sun terrace at the hotel with views of the harbour and the hillside of Funchal.

A nice place to sit and relax, also a reminder of a previous visit when the terrace was open to view Funchal's magnificent New Years Eve firework display.

Whatever time of the year Madeira is one of our favourite destinations.

Catching up with some reading we relaxed around the pool, I took a walk on the 'beach'. Well cobbles more like but then Funchal us nit known for sandy beaches!

Come the afternoon the sun had decided to hide behind the clouds, we took a stroll into the centre, the flower carpets are revamped every few days so the scene is forever changing.

The little stalls selling flowers & Poncha drinks were busy, just one cruise ship in today but it was still busy.

The Ritz cafe was as popular as ever, a great place to People-watch whilst enjoying a drink.

The flower festival period will soon come to an end but the musicians are still playing and with dome very peculiar pipes, but it sounded good.

Sadly our time here in Madeira is soon coming to an end, we knew we would see some beautiful flowers but to visit during the Flower Festival and to witness such spectacular displays & parades will certainly make this a holiday one to remember for a long time.



Today it is our 48th wedding anniversary & this evening will be dining at Restaurante Do Forte, established in 2001, located at the Historical Fortress of São Tiago (17th Century).You can be collected from your hotel in a 1932 Austin 12 classic car but as our hotel is just a few metres from the restaurant it was shank's pony for us!

We were shown to our table overlooking the battlements of the old fort, it was a lovely evening and the sky had a pink tinge. On the table was an anniversary card from the restaurant, such a nice touch especially as I don't remember telling them when we booked.

We chose the option of a set price for ANY item from the Al La Carte menu, 4 courses including sorbet and wine with each course.- each dish was beautifully presented, & tasted delicious. Most evenings we have been eating a main course and occasionally a dessert but tonight was a special I occas so we pushed the boat out.!

The ambience and the delicious food made fir a wonderful evening celebrating our anniversary.

Our holiday here in Madeira is coming to an end, it's been wonderful, full of flowers, good food and time spent together..


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb