Rainy Day in Lisbon


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley
January 28th 2020
Published: January 28th 2020
Edit Blog Post

We disembarked in Lisbon from our cruise ship The Balmoral on a very wet dismal day. There were in a lot of very heavy downpours and incessant rain to come.

Undaunted we set off with a stroll through the Alfama District, the oldest district in Lisbon, with it's cobbled winding streets.

There were several restaurants where Fado, Portuguese melancholy music, could be enjoyed.

We visited Lisbon Cathedral (12th to 14th centuries) which was very interesting. Overlooking the Alfama District was the Castle of Sao George a Moorish castle.

We made our way to Rossio Plaza and then climbed up some steps near the train station and found a small bar/restaurant.

It was good to get out of the rain and enjoy some sardines and potatoes washed down with some red wine!

Finally, wet and bedraggled we wandered back through the central streets of Lisbon to our ship.

Later that day we set sail down the River Tagus. We had wonderful views of Lisbon and along the riverside. We saw the Belem tower and had good views of the RiverTagus Suspension Bridge completed in 1966.

Our Fred Olsen cruise was coming to an end. Just a couple of days to enjoy life on board Balmoral before returning to Southampton.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb