Sintra the dream of Kings


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Sintra
March 28th 2011
Published: May 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

lisboa, Rossio trainstationlisboa, Rossio trainstationlisboa, Rossio trainstation

Rossio is one of 4 trainstaitions in and around Lisboa.
Sintra (Portuguese pronunciation: ) is a town in Sintra Municipality in Portugal, located in the Grande Lisboa subregion and the Lisbon Region. The town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site on account of its 19th century Romantic architecture. It has a population of c. 33,000 inhabitants.

Sintra has become a major tourist attraction dow to the fabulous Pena Palace (19th c.) and the Castelo dos Mouros (8th or 9th century, reconstructed in the 19th century) with a breath-taking view of the Sintra-Cascais Natural Park, and the summer residence of the kings of Portugal Palácio Nacional de Sintra (largely 15th/16th century), in the town itself. The Sintra Mountain Range, one of the largest parks in the Lisbon area, (Serra de Sintra) is also a major tourist attraction.

In 1809 Lord Byron wrote to his friend Francis Hodgson, "I must just observe that the village of Sintra in Estremadura is the most beautiful in the world."
We set out to Sintra by train. It took us 45min from Lisboa, and then took the local bus with all the other turists that go's past all the attractions.

Our first stop The Castelo dos Mouros.
Castelo dos Mouros (English: Castle of the Moors) is a castle located in the town of Sintra, Portugal. The castle is located on a high hill overlooking the town.
O Castelo dos Mouros as implied by its name is of Moorish origin, but the current building is the result of a romantic renovation carried out in the 19th century. The views from its walls and towers are breathtaking. The town of Sintra with its royal palace, as well as the Pena National Palace, are all visible from the Castle of the Moors. The castle has two walled segments with a total perimeter of 450 meters. The walls at the north segment took advantage of the natural slope of the hill to prevent enemies from approaching the castle. Although much restored, the towers seem to be in their original locations. The wall segment with the entrance of the castle has the best preserved walls, in which the medieval building technique can be fully appreciated.

Also near the entrance is located the Romanesque Church of Saint Peter, which dates from the 12th-13th centuries. The small church has no roof, but the apse with its barrel vault is still preserved. The capitals of the main portal and chapel of
SintraSintraSintra

Veiw from Sintra trainstation up to Morrish Castle
the apse are decorated with Romanesque vegetable motifs. The area around the church was excavated and revealed the existence of a medieval cemetery with many tombs.










Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

SintraSintra
Sintra

The kids had a really great time in Sintra
Castle, Castle,
Castle,

Smaller towers inside the castle
Castle KeepCastle Keep
Castle Keep

Residance of the governor of the fortress during the Muslim period.
Castle wallCastle wall
Castle wall

Great view!!!!
SintraSintra
Sintra

Kings summer palace below in white.


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb