Picturesque Lisbon


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Lisbon
June 7th 2017
Published: June 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Castillo de San JorgeCastillo de San JorgeCastillo de San Jorge

Capping a scenic view of the city is the Castle of St George.
Lisbon has trams like Melbourne had a half century ago and so we have trammed up and down the hills of this beautiful city seeing all the sights. They provide a great way to get around the city and are very popular with the tourists. The screeching of the wheels and rattling around brought back memories of the old w class trams I used to catch each day to school. Though these ones are a lot smaller and less comfortable​. But a lot of fun.

Mentioning tourists though, Lisbon is a seething mass of tourists from all over Portugal, the rest of Europe and the world generally. They fill the cafes and restaurants, the trams, streets and bars. If the tourists were all to suddenly go away this place would grind to a halt and unemployment would be at crisis levels. So for the locals there is a definite love-hate relationship with tourists.

The city is very attractive with it's orange coloured roof tiles and predominately white building walls. An outstanding feature is the use of a typical style of tile - called Azelujos tiles - to adorn the front of the buildings. These have a distinctive pattern and
Funicular Plus GraffitiFunicular Plus GraffitiFunicular Plus Graffiti

Alternative mode of transport but great for saving tired legs on steephills.
obviously add colour and individuality to the city's buildings.

There are a multitude of major churches and cathedrals of course plus every square has a monument to some national hero with Vasco De Gama being right up there at the top of the list. Portugal's history of naval strength is evident in many ways with it's ports, shipping and various forts etc..

Another feature of Lisbon are the elevators and the funiculars in the city. The elevators are installed primarily for providing a spectacular view of the city for tourists whereas the funiculars are to help the locals navigate the steep slopes of the city's streets. The tourists of the 21st century love them too. Lisbon is very definitely an attractive city to visit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Placa de Municipal.Placa de Municipal.
Placa de Municipal.

One of the many plazas in Lisbon.
The Skinny on Tight LivingThe Skinny on Tight Living
The Skinny on Tight Living

Can anyone seriously live in these houses? The answer apparently is yes!
Decorated BuildingsDecorated Buildings
Decorated Buildings

Adding colour and interest.
Arch of Rua AugustaArch of Rua Augusta
Arch of Rua Augusta

Near the Praca de Commercio. Previously the location of the Royal Palace until the 1755 earthquake demolished it.
View Towards Se CatedralView Towards Se Catedral
View Towards Se Catedral

Very picturesque once more.
Teatro Nacional de MariaTeatro Nacional de Maria
Teatro Nacional de Maria

A view from the Elevator San Justa.
Elevador de San JustaElevador de San Justa
Elevador de San Justa

Great views of all of Lisbon from a 45 metre elevation.


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.016s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb