Nightlife in Lisbon


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Lisbon
June 8th 2006
Published: June 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We went to the Castelo de Jorge this afternoon after we took the metro to get our tickets for the night train to Madrid tomorrow night. Everything here has to be done between 10 and 1 or after 3pm because EVERYTHING CLOSES so that you can go eat!! The castle is from the 12th century, most of the walls are still standing.....it's the view that's amazing 360 degrees around, you can see all of Lisbon and across the estuary. I could imagine ladies in long gowns and mantillas wandering through the castle whispering.
Then we went to the cathedral and caught a part of a mass...with a priest with a good voice. The old city that we explored is built all on the hills with tiny winding alleys. Lots of the houses are covered in tiles.
For our finale in Lisbon we went to barrio alto which is real close to where we're staying for dinner and to hear "Fado"..it's kind of the country and western music of Portugal. A single singer accompanied by guitar and a instrument peculiar to Portugal. Full of sadness and longing.it was fabulous. Sarah...though about how you would have loved it.
I miss my animals...driving Eva crazy...I want to pet every stray dog and cat I see but a lot of them are feral...I fed the goldfish in a fountain today, found a coin, and another feather. I've been finding a feather in every city we've gone to. One more day here, then off to Madrid tomorrow night..Love to all


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb