LISBON Where old worldy charm abounds


Advertisement
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Lisbon
July 5th 2008
Published: July 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We got into Lisbon just after day break and pulled up at a giant transport interchange building. I followed a fellow passenger in the direction of the main building. He seemed to have the same idea as me and went straight for the toilets. Unfortunately they were closed. Wouldn’t want the general public using them now would we. Had to search the entire expanse of the great featureless building. A... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 122, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




7th July 2008

Coffee in a glass
Where on earth did you get the idea that some Aussies disapprove of this practice? It's very common here in Melbourne, and it does not in any way demonstrate a mindnumbing inabilty to select an appropriate vessel for the service of a hot beverage. It must be very sophisticated because they do it in Lygon Street.
8th July 2008

do not forget to eat the famous pasteis de nata
you can see them in wikipedia. just search for Pastel de nata.you can find them in any pastry shop. Be carefull while going out at night in lisbon,especially in places like rossio,where you staying. portuguese are generally friendly..,but. I am portuguese and I live in Lisbon. I do not trust everyone.
9th July 2008

Beggars can be choosers
What you might not know is that Portugal is one of the poorest countries in the E.U., and as a consequence, probably has more beggars than other member countries. The standard of living might be cheaper but there's a downside. My advice is to buy yourself a garland of garlic and a crucifix ... Hang on. I think that's only applicable to Transylvania.
9th July 2008

Lisbon
Interesting reading about Lisbon and your experiences there. The photos you've posted look strange. I can't see any footpaths anywhere and the streets look devoid of all human life? I will assume that the photos were taken on a Sunday, perhaps early morning? Congratulations on your new fancy money belt, sounds like you're going to need it.
9th July 2008

the tower is not a tower
the tower ..,wich you depict in the blog is not a tower. it is an elevator. You can take it and enjoy the wonderfull view of lisbon
9th July 2008

santa justa lift from wikipedia
The Santa Justa Lift (Portuguese: Elevador de Santa Justa, pron. IPA: [elhvP'do~ dh 'sPtP '’uƒtP]), also called Carmo Lift (Elevador do Carmo, pron. IPA: [elhvP'do~ du 'ka~mu]), is a lift in the city of Lisbon at Santa Justa Street. It connects downtown streets with the uphill Carmo Square. Neogothic structure of the Santa Justa Lift. The bridge leads to the Carmo Square. Neogothic structure of the Santa Justa Lift. The bridge leads to the Carmo Square. The Santa Justa Lift was designed by Raul Mesnier de Ponsard, an engineer born in Oporto to French parents, and apprentice of Gustave Eiffel. Construction began in 1900 and was finished in 1902; originally powered by steam, it was converted to electrical operation in 1907. The iron lift is 45 metres tall and is decorated in neogothic style, with a different pattern on each storey. The top storey is reached by helicoidal staircases and has a terrace that offers views of Lisbon Castle, the Rossio Square and the Baixa neighbourhood. There are two elevator booths. Each has wooden interior and accommodates 24 people. The lift has become a tourist attraction in Lisbon as, among the urban lifts in Lisbon, Santa Justa is the only vertical one. Others, including Elevador da Glória and Elevador da Lavra, are more like funiculars that help climb the slopes of Lisbon.
10th July 2008

Travel and Food
Lloyd, I love your descriptions of foods you encounter in your travels. You paint a very vivid picture of tastes and textures that I can almost smell! Yet your decriptions are disarmingly simple. How do you do it? For example, here's how another blogger might describe eating a pizza: 'It's like no other pizza dough I've ever tasted. It's soft and chewy and yielding but incredibly thin. It's a doughy, strong, gummy, yummy, chewy, salty pizza paradise. On top is sweet tomato sauce that foams up all bubbly and creamy when it melts the fresh buffalo mozzarella.' But thankfully you, Lloyd, dispense with such unnecessarily florid descriptions. You simply say 'The pizza was very tasty. Went down a treat!' And that's what I like about your writing style. Very plain. Very stolid. Very straightforward with absolutely no bullshit. Keep on blogging as only you can, Mr Word Smith.
10th July 2008

Fire in the Hole!
When you mentioned the story about the fire in the newspaper, it triggered the memory of a big fire just down the road from your apartment that happened about a month ago. It took out Jamie Oliver's restaurant and two other businesses at the cost of about a mill. dollars. Turned out the culprit was a chef who worked for Jamie Oliver! Good to see you are still writing, drinking, suffering, learning and living. Lisbon seems to be trapped in time; a force that is contracting space, pushing everything closer and closer together. There's probably a perfectly good replica of this at Disneyland somewhere.
10th July 2008

Illness
Lloyd, sorry to hear you're not well and cooped up in your room. This is one of the aspects of travel that unfortunately sometimes happens. You'll recall that ME was laid up on one of his many and frequent visits to Asia not so long ago? Eggs ended up missing his flight. He was a broken egg indeed! You've booked in for several days to your pension so hopefully your illness will pass soon and you'll be able to get on with your travels and your quirky blogging. Keep updating this journal as often as you can. It's a highlight for several of us back in Australia. I'm in Bali right now and I have to tell you that tourist numbers here are at an all time high. Bali tourism is once again running with a full head of steam and appears to have completely recovered from the effects of the bombings a few years ago. Building of new resorts continues apace and there are more swimming pools per square meter here than just about anywhere in the world. I have my own private pool here in my villa. I am trying to lose weight like you Lloyd and I am doing fifty laps a day. My villa also has Wi-Fi direct to my room and I am typing this on my laptop in my lounge room. It’s luxury alright but it doesn’t break the bank. This is one of the reasons why so many Australians flock here. I’m thinking about visiting one of the Bali Nine tomorrow at Kerobokan jail but am still undecided.
12th July 2008

Piggyback Blog
Hi Lloyd, thanks for allowing me to piggyback my mini-blog on the back of yours these last few weeks! I’m too lazy to set up my own blogging account and I saw an opportunity to talk about my travels here in Bali within the confines of ‘Comment Corner’ right here at the bottom of your own blog. I’ve been following your trials and tribulations each day, adding a comment here and there and then appending a little of my own adventures as well. Hope you don’t mind. Well, my holiday here in beautiful Bali is drawing to a close. Heading back to Melbourne on a late flight tonight. Have had a fabulous two week break here in Indonesia. The highlight of my trip was spending seven days on the remote island of Trawangan in the Indonesian Archipelago. It’s one of 3,000 islands. And it’s so relaxing to be in a place where there are no cars or motorized transport of any kind. Didn’t end up visiting Keroboken Jail after all. I was worried that some dreadful mistake might be made and they’d accidently or intentionally lock me up there as well so I stayed away from the place. Of course, your travels Lloyd are much more ‘educational’, more ‘travel experiences’ than the ‘lay-on-the-beach’, snorkelling style holidays that I like. Hope you recover from your bout of illness soon and start tapping away once again on that wonky keyboard soon! Rob O’ Connell has suddenly re-surfaced and wants to have Mexican soon with the lads. Can I make a booking at Mexicali Rose for 7:30?
12th July 2008

Illness
Terry is half right in comparing your situation to The Great Philippines Conjunctivitis Catastrophe, although I was not "laid up", and I did not "miss" my flight. I was completely mobile (though seriously vision-impaired) through the whole experience, and was on time for all three of the flights that I was refused permission to board. My main problem was being effectively trapped (while half-blind) for twelve days in a country I desperately wanted to leave. The real analogy here (this theme will be familiar to you, Lloyd) is with what happened to me when I got home. After about three days I got very sick, which I put down to the fact that my body gave up after having held it together for so long in such a stressful situation. I reckon that's what's happened to you. The bright side of it is that you do get better if you take it easy. On the other hand, if you're still sick after a few days, it might be time to see a doctor.
12th July 2008

Taking the port out of Portugal
It's good to see that you're chock full of Bock, but surely you can't leave Portugal without sampling port. This is where the marvelous story of port started. Any idea who the 42year old local is who has left a couple of messages on your blog? Could be a local nerd given his message re elevators. Where to next pilgrim?
13th July 2008

Blog Becalmed
Lloyd, your blog has suddenly become becalmed. I know you are not well and are bundled up in bed trying to shake the combined effects of cold, asthma and travel exhaustion. Rest is what you need. Make sure you get plenty of it. It’s no fun being sick while travelling, ask ME, who has graciously corrected me in regard to the finer points of his own travel history. Meanwhile, I have arrived safely home today from my Bali trip to good old Melbourne town. Tullamarine airport was the busiest I have ever seen it! Long, snaking queues in the Arrivals area were the order of the day as millions of Melbournians returned from overseas trips at the conclusion of school holidays here in Victoria. Our plane landed at 7:30 am but because there were so many planes coming in we had no gate available so the pilot simply parked the plane somewhere in the middle of the airfield and ordered a movable set of stairs so we could all alight to the tarmac below. Unfortunately moveable stairs were moving like hot cakes and it took more than an hour for an available set to arrive. Most passengers preferring to stand motionless in the (very) crowed aisle during this time clutching their hand luggage. The pilot apologied several times for the delay in getting the movable stairs which he was ‘reliably informed’ us were speedily on the way to our stationary aircraft. Finally, more than one hour after we had landed, a very welcome set of movable stairs finally arrived but sadly then there was a similar problem with the ready availability of transfer busses. None. But this was just a mere taste of things to follow as several arriving jumbo jets disgorged planeload after planeload of tired tourists into the tiny Arrivals wing. In the end, it took four hours from the time the plane touched down until we walked out of the airport to finally queue up one again at the taxi rank in freezing temperatures. Five hour flight from Bali, four hour processing at Tullarmarine! Ah, the joys of travel! Seriously, we here in ‘Comment Corner’ are on tenterhooks not knowing what your health status is, Lloyd. Please update status asp.
14th July 2008

Parmesan Power
Ah! It seems that Lisbon’s gentle breezes are finally lifting the sails of your becalmed blog! The gentle tap-tap-tap of your clapped-out keyboard propels your pixels through shimmering seas of blogliness. (Enough of the laboured metaphors already!) Good to hear you're up and about again, Mr Smythe. You had us all worried for a while there but you’ve valiantly pulled through like the stoic trooper you are. Of course, we knew you would. But I cannot believe that you have actually parted with folding stuff to climb a few steps of some ancient tower? Tell me it’s not true that you actually shelled out good money for a tourist trap? Not like you, Lloyd, not like you at all! I can see that you have yet to fully recover from your illness. And when you do, I’m sure that such ‘attractions’ will fail utterly to separate you from your cash and things will return once again to normal. Also nice to see your updated photos. One of these photos you have labelled ‘A demonstration against too many Aussie tourists outside my window’. Actually the sign reads ‘Governo For a De Lai Raicota Negociacao’. Loosely translated this means ‘We want a Government that will allow us to negotiate Ricotta Cheese.’ Lloyd, you may not be aware that for decades ricotta cheese has been non-negotiable in Lisbon. I believe that you should support this call for parmesan power and lend your weight to their campaign. Also very reassuring to discover that you have squirreled away adequate supplies of trusty Super Bock beer. There’s an old saying in Lisbon: ‘Don’t mock Super Bock’. And you, Lloyd, have truly taken that motto to your heart. Please continue to update your blog regularly. It’s ‘required reading’ in my household.
14th July 2008

Lloyd... I'm concerned. Your Portuguese.. is it up to much? I only ask because... well..... the pregnant beggar. Are you certain that it was simply money that she was after? Was her conversation gently leading you to the question of paternity? Is there any question of this? Any possibility at all? You really must be more careful Lloyd Smith. You may take this advice on any level you wish. And Edgar.... Pah!! You say you were "seriously vision-impaired". Good lord man! Have you not been following the intrepid worldly travels of the one and only, the squinting, tunnel-visioned Smith??? Again, I say to you sir.... Pah!!
15th July 2008

Well, we 'ad it tough...
Lloyd, I hope you are now well enough to start getting out and about and reporting Lisbon a bit more. As you can see, the lack of serious action in your travels has left us here in Comment Corner with nothing to do except squabble amongst ourselves. Not that that's MY fault in any way, I hasten to add. The Guilty Parties know who they are! I must confess to being mystified by the caption "Told you it was willy" under a photograph of several parked cars. What did you mean?
16th July 2008

Your Photos Are Pixilated
Lloyd, some of your photos are pixilated and cannot be viewed? Not sure what the problem is but it's a shame for crying out very loud. Have you remembered to take the lens cap off while snapping away? Some of your photos work very well indeed. Your castle Jorge photos are particularly interesting yet you don’t mention visiting a castle at all in your blog? Did you actually go there or did you lend your camera to some Japanese tourists for the day? Actually, I was pleased to see a snap of your good self looking suitably pissed in a red T-Shirt. Looks like you have lost some weight, my boy. Keep it up! Must be all that walking and that liquid diet of yours? *smokes pipe* Remember, don't mock the Bock! *puff puff*
16th July 2008

Castle Jorge
Apologies Lloyd, I re-read your Blog just now and of course there's a full description of your visit to Castle Jorge right there staring at me. *Smacks Forehead*. Sorry! Also took another look at that photo of you smiling in the red T-Shirt. You look to be about 25 years old in that pic? Full head of hair, no grey. Slim and trim. This trip is taking years off your age! Maybe that Bock beer is called 'Super Bock' for a very good reason?
16th July 2008

Word Count - 7,000
Lloyd, you've clocked up 7,000 words on Lisbon to date. This is well short of your TravelBlog World Record of 10,000 for Agadir. I suspect that you may be a tiny bit blogged out in Lisbon? OK, take a time-out from your blog. Get out there and just do it. No need to tell us your every little frustration in painstakingly sordid detail. Travel is for those who need to travel, not for those who need to sit in Internet Cafes. And yet, oh and yet! I feel that you can still summon up the blood for a 3,000 word final spurt to the finish line. Once you get a full head of steam there'll be no holding you back. Come on Lloyd, you can do it! Now put that glass of Bock down, wrap those fingers around that worn-out, old keyboard and start tapping away...YES! OH YES!
17th July 2008

posterity
Nice one Lloyd. Would you like me to locate a Britney Spears DVD and inter it in a time capsule vault? Happy to do so. Where to next O Fearless Trudger?
18th July 2008

watch your step
Fuck the Kokoda Trail. Why don't they send some of our rough and tough AFL footballers up those mountainous inclines of steps in the pre-season? Guess there wouldn't be enough iron lungs in Portugal to cater for the carnage. I know Portugal has a small population, but where are all the people? Were they filming one of those apocalyptic horror movies set in the future? And as for you looking twenty years younger in one of the photos, admit it, Lloyd; Portugal is the plastic surgery hub of Europe.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb