To the North and East


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Lisbon
October 10th 2005
Published: October 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Lisbon Marriott, anytown USA?Lisbon Marriott, anytown USA?Lisbon Marriott, anytown USA?

The Lisbon Marriott is not exactly located in the heart of old Lisbon. In fact, looking out the window, the freeway resembles any big city, anywhere.
We have been without internet for three days. A night in Sagres,in the Pousada dos Infantes, at the end of the world. A hike to the Forteleza on the point in the morning to stretch our legs and thunder showers follow us wherever we go.

On to Evora, an historic walled city in the Alentejo. More rain, intermittent. Got to town, or rather the base of the hill, outside the walls, at commuter time. Once around a couple of circulos and up the hill following Herv's unfailing sense of direction and we were at the Lo'is Pousada. It's where the bones are stored. It's an old city with a wonderful aquaduct built in the 15th century, still standing and working. More rain. Tortoises in the atrium of the convent where we stay.

Last night we stayed in Posada Sta. Christina in Condeixa o Nova. The drives on the highways are wonderful - good roads, well-signed, little traffic. But, when you get off the highway to find your way into town, anything can happen and it usually does. Traffic jams and accidents, narrow streets, barely as wide as the car, one ways and dead-ends. Consequently, plans to arrive at three
Name this city.Name this city.Name this city.

On the overpass, in search of the Metro stop.
or four turn into lucky-to-have-arrived-by-six! Beautiful sunset walk and cocktails on the patio and wake-up call by thunder and lightening.

We're off to Salamanca and then Madrid. Ahead of the rain, we hope.

What a wonderful adventure!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Old and new, near the zoological gardens.Old and new, near the zoological gardens.
Old and new, near the zoological gardens.

Lisbon is a city in a hurry to catch up. Lots of new residential construction wedged in among the old and charming and the just plain old.
Old town, great for walking.Old town, great for walking.
Old town, great for walking.

On the waterfront plaza.
Roman ruins.Roman ruins.
Roman ruins.

Roman theater being excavated near the forteleza in Lisbon. It once held 50, 000.
In the car on the new bridge, leaving Lisbon.In the car on the new bridge, leaving Lisbon.
In the car on the new bridge, leaving Lisbon.

On the road to get a closer view of things. We made it out of the airport and around the circulo to head south for Sines and Sagres. It has started to rain.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb