A slower day


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Lisbon
April 14th 2018
Published: April 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Saturday: Pouring rain in the morning, so we might as well use the time for Yoga, laundry, and organization of our digs. We found a laundromat to dry our wet clothes and a restaurant with take-away sandwiches. So far, quite a useful day. The rain can't last forever, can it?

By 2p or so, the clouds start to break and the sun peeped out. Time to explore!

Since our start was so delayed, today, Mike and I decided to go see three of my fave places: churches, parks, and cemeteries. When we arrived at the Estrela Basilica, there was a wedding exiting the church. As much as we wanted to be a part of the festivities, it would just be rude. Instead, we strolled through the lovely park across the street. Estrela Park is surrounded by a stone and iron fence and filled with families picnicking and having birthday parties. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the afternoon sun. The pathways wound around playgrounds, ponds, statues, cool birds, and turtles. The park coffee shop was pricey but the view was worth it.

With the wedding party gone, our Basilica explore began. This is a glorious, 18th century church, designed in the baroque style, with gray, pink, and yellow marble. Huge dome, multiple ornate altars, beautiful frescos. Gorgeous! Next door is a convent for Barefoot Carmelite nuns, but I don't think they were barefoot today. Brrr!

Next on the agenda, the Prazeres Cemetery, where many historic folks and their families rest. This cemetery dates back to the 19th century and is surrounded by an impressive black iron gate, which we saw slowly close for the day just as we turned the corner. Oh well.

The good news, the 28 trolley starts its line here. We managed to be the first for a ride back to the Baixa, city center stops. This is the oldest of the trolleys and is usually packed. The shakey, wobbly ride was fun and a bit scary as we barely missed cars and buildings. Cool.

A quick walk to the Gloria funicular and up to our fave park for dinner. No music tonight but chatted with a couple from Indiana and shared an enormous sandwich and beer. Yum.

Home to review our day w Karen and Glen.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb