Why visit Central Portugal?


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Central
October 19th 2019
Published: October 22nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Why visit Central Portugal?




Central Portugal is one of the seven regions of Portugal, located between Lisbon and Porto.



Not as famous as the Algarve, but easily as stunning and a region most definitely worthy of a visit.



The area has UNESCO world heritage sites, culture, beaches, castles, fantastic food and warm and welcoming locals.



Though English is not as widely spoken as it is in some areas of Portugal, just trying to speak some Portuguese (not matter how badly) goes a long way and is appreciated.



There is a varied landscape, from the mountains of Serra da Estrela the highest mountain range in Continental Portugal, through to the coast with long sandy beaches, holiday resorts and rugged coves.



There is actually a ski resort that is open in the winter, though it is not a long season.



You can choose to visit one of the many traditional whitewashed villages, hidden in the countryside or the world famous surf resort of Nazaré (were the world record highest wave was surfed)



If you are looking for a city trip there is Coimbra, the original capital of Portugal, situated on the Rio Mondego. As you approach Coimbrayou can see the buildings rising to the top of the city on narrow streets, the view is stunning whether you are looking up from the river or down from the top of the city.



Definitely worth a visit is the university of Coimbra. This is one of the oldest universities in the world and is a UNESCO world heritage site.



If you are looking for a beach there are so many available all along the coastline, from a rugged cove through to an expanse of golden sand, and as this area is not as busy as other coastal areas, you should be able to find somewhere almost deserted (but that does also mean that there will be little or no facilities).



If a beach holiday is not your thing, but you enjoy swimming, there are many natural river beaches in central Portugal, ranging from large pools surrounded by sun loungers and restaurants through to a natural pool set in a forest and everything in between.



If you are looking to eat traditional food, then you will find this in abundance in Central Portugal, visit one of the small village restaurants, often with only 3 dishes on the menu and you will experience true Portuguese food that is made for the locals and not the tourists, we do recommend that you do not ask what is in it until you have eaten it, as sometimes the ingredients can be a little off putting (pigs ears, trotters and snouts are quite common!) Unfortunately, vegan and even vegetarian have not made it to these areas, but often if you say no meat you can be offered potatoes/chips and a salad and egg. A three course meal with wine can be found for as little as 7 Euros.



As many of these areas are not that touristy, there will not be a big selection of hotels. However, there are lots of rentals called ‘Alojamento Local ’ where a person has registered their property as a holiday rental. This means you can really get a taste of life in Central Portugal living in a house or cottage in a village or staying on a Quinta in the countryside.



If you choose one of the cities or big coastal resorts you will find many hotels and B&B’s.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb