Tomar, Fatima, Batalha and Alcobaca Portugal - Monasteries and Place of Devotion


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Central » Tomar
June 4th 2016
Published: July 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today we head to Tomar. Our destination Convento de Cristobal, founded in 1160 by the Templars (Monk/Knights). It looks like a castle but it was a monastery/castle. This was a good stop with lots to see. Since the Knights lived in the monastery there are dorms, kitchen, chapel and rooms for meeting. We had a snack at the castle then headed to Fatima.

Fatima lots of tourists and pilgrims here. The pilgrims crawl on their knees to the site where Mary appeared to three children. There are two churchs here as well as the holy spot. It was very moving to be here. We bought large candles and set them in an area with flames. The large newer church was empty but the old church was filled with visitors. Two of the children are buried in the old church. A mass was going on at the spot where Mary appeared to the children. The square between the two churches is larger than the square in front of the Vatican. Many tourists visit the homes of the children but we had more stops to make so we skipped it.

After Fatima we stopped in Batalha to visit the abbey of Santa Maria da Vitoria. The abbey is a large Gothic church founded in 1386 and it took 200 years to complete. A tomb of an unknown soldier is here and the honor guard was changing guards while we were here. The ceremony is similar to the changing of the guard of the unknown soldier in DC. Multiple kings, queens and princes are also buried here.

Next stop Alcobaca a monastery founded in 1253. The public was not allowed into the monastery until the 18th century. This is Portugals largest church. The monastory has a church, dorms, kitchen and cloister (out door square with covered walkways around it). King Pedro and his wife Inez is buried here. Dona Ines de Castro was assassinated by order of Pedro's father while Pedro was a prince and engaged to Ines. When his father died he had Ines dug up and he married her. He made his subjects kiss her hand. Ines is also buried in this church. That is love.

We are tired and now we drive to our destination.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb