BLT Day #9: Oh, what a beautiful day!


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Azores
May 2nd 2015
Published: May 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

After a gray, rainy day at sea yesterday, today's beautiful sunshine was a much-welcomed gift! And although a visit to the Azores was not on our original itinerary, it was a very pleasant surprise. Like the rest of the islands in the Azores, the topography was beautiful - rolling green hillsides with small towns sprinkled here and there. The town of Ponta Delgado has about 45,000 people with about 150,000 on the whole island. It's a lovely town with small streets, cobblestone sidewalks with outdoor cafes and beautiful building architecture. Two beautiful Catholic churches were especially beautiful. We were also treated to a free performance of a kids' drum and bagpipe group. The kids ranged from very young to teenagers, and their expertise was impressive.

When the ship left port, I was reminded that sail aways are one of my favorite parts of cruising. Being at sea yet still in sight of land is simply wonderful - and our sail away today was no exception. Beautiful! We ended the day with a WONDERFUL meal in the specialty Italian restaurant Sabattini's, where everything is made to order for you. After fabulous spinach manicotti and wonderful "lobster three ways", we were stuffed but very happy.

Sunshine, land and Italian food - this day was a three-base hit!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb