Beach Day


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Aljezur
July 20th 2013
Published: July 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Aljezur beach trip

Ahhh the bracing waters of the Atlantic. This trip took about 45 minutes. We went up one mountain enroute.

Orange ya glad you came to Portugal?Orange ya glad you came to Portugal?Orange ya glad you came to Portugal?

The roadside oranges, picked hours before, were tree-ripened, sun-soaked juicy goodness.
Another great day! Nothing but sunshine and warm days here! We don't even check the weather forecast cuz every day is gorgeous. Today we headed to the western coast of the Algarve to an au natural beach called Amoreira. The drive was very pretty through the interior of the region and across to the coast. We stopped on the way finally at one of the roadside vendors selling big bags of freshly picked oranges. They are delicious! Then on to the beach where the waves were huge and there were lots of surfers. We enjoyed jumping and diving in the waves - there were 3 moves invented: the cork (staying afloat and not letting your feet touch the bottom during a wave), the up and over (swim into the crest and over the top and ride down the back of the wave keeping head above water), and the flip back (try to stand firm and not let the wave move you back but is basically impossible to do). There was also some soccer and football action.

Both Russell and especially Nigel were disappointed that they were unable to wear their glasses most of the day due to the water play
Amoreira BeachAmoreira BeachAmoreira Beach

Gorgeous day. Gentle breeze, hot, but no humidity. Lots of British tourists, and some Germans. And at least one Canadian family.
(as there were some topless women around.....)

Fully sun- and water-drenched, we drove home and relaxed in the backyard and bbq'd dinner and ate outside. The kids also proved to be not quite water-logged as they managed to squeeze in yet another swim.



Scroll to the bottom for more pics.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Cute chickCute chick
Cute chick

Rachel getting ready to lay out under the umbrella and read.
Lori and RussellLori and Russell
Lori and Russell

We went for a long walk half the length of the beach. Soft sand absolutely everywhere (except the one spot Russ fell and cut his knee).
Catching a footballCatching a football
Catching a football

Playing catch with Russ.
Watch out!Watch out!
Watch out!

She can't see it yet but there's a six foot wave coming up behind her.
You're it!You're it!
You're it!

Rachel losing a game of wave tag.
Young MessiYoung Messi
Young Messi

Russell practicing headers on the beach.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb