Traveling Day


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Masovia » Warsaw
September 10th 2007
Published: September 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today wasn't ever going to be much more than a day 0f traveling, but we didn't know just how long we'd be traveling for.

The train for Warsaw left Vilnius around twelve, so after using up our leftover money in the supermarket we boarded our train. This journey was too a tiny station at the south of Lithuania called Sestokai which we had to go to in order to avoid Belarus. It was a pretty uneventful journey but I did finish my book which was fantastic. I'm now stuck with Rob's old book which is a bad crime thriller.

The train from Sestokai was an hour and a half late, which was a devil because there was nothing to do. We kept ourselves amused by playing hopscotch and watching a suicidal ant. Fun.

We finally arrived in Warsaw at half ten which was two hours later than we expected. On the way to Okidoki hostel we bumped into two Aussie girls who were going there as well, so we all walked together.

The hostel appears to be our best yet. It's in a beautiful building, is lively and almost what you might call comfortable. We dumped our stuff in our room and after finding out that Poland is only GMT +1 we set out to find food.

Warsaw at night is fantastic, it is so big and modern that you feel somewhat overwhelmed at first. We walked for ages asking a few places if they were serving food, but none were. Eventually we found a cute little bar that did spaghetti. This doesn't sound like much but after days without a proper meal it was fantastic find. Being English we still find it novel to sit outside, so despite the rain, the lateness and all the smokers we sat outside. Not the smartest idea. I just remembered another funny incident. At the meal I ordered two pints of Zwyiec, I pronounced it zvick. That's how Jamie and Rach pronounced it after they came back from Poland. No! Firstly it isn't a pint here, its a half litre. Secondly it is pronounced Jer-vie-ecks, slightly different.

After our meal we went back to our hostel to go for a drink in the bar. As we were ordering our pints, I heard a distinct Boro accent. A group of ten men from the Boro are staying here for a friends birthday. We swiftly joined them and I think Rob coped well with a room full of merry Smoggies as did the barmaid who managed to get rid of us at three when she ran out of beer completely. It was great to find that the first northerners we bumped into whilst traveling were Boro lads, even if they're not really backpacker types.xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb