Heading home

Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Masovia » Warsaw
September 11th 2016
Published: April 9th 2018
Edit Blog Post

I had to depart Warsaw early this day, sadly.

I awoke at 4:00am and got myself ready. I checkout of the Novotel and walked over to the Centralna rail station. I cought a 5:35am train to WAW airport. Our first flight was at 7:35am, on LOT Polish Airlines to Dusseldorf. It was LOT flight 409, an EMB-175 aircraft. I was in economy seat 18D. We were going to have a very tight connection at DUS, and departing Warsaw 15 minutes late did not help.

I chose Dusseldorf because it had the most open business class seats of all the Delta Europe departures. If we did not make it in time, our back up was to take an afternoon Air Berlin flight from DUS to Boston. That flight had 100s of open seats, so we were covered one way or another.

We made up time in the air, and landed at DUS on time. We exited the aircraft and ran from Terminal A to C. It was tiring, but we made it. Then the bad news. The immigration line was long and only 2 Agents were working. I did not like our chances. We landed at 9:30am, and our flight to Atlanta was departing at 10:50am. By the time we cleared immigration, it was about 10:10. We ran to the Delta gate, which was the first one, thankfully. They cleared us for business class, and soon we were on our way. They shut the doors at 10:40am, so I would say we made it on with only about 15 minutes to spare.

This was Delta 25, a 767-300, and I was in seat 4B.

The flight was smooth and routine.

I watched the films "Selma", and "JFK". The cod meal with all the sides was excellent! I also had 6 gin and tonics to drink. The flight was almost 10 hours long, so I slept for the last 5 of that, and skipped the pre arrival meal.

We must have hit a slow time in Atlanta because we cleared customs and immigration within 15 minutes. Then it was off to wait for our Indianapolis connection. It was about 3pm, and our Indy flight was at 5:40pm. It was tight for stand by travel, but later flights looked good, so we would get home eventually. Well, we did get the 5:40pm flight and were back in Indy by 6:30pm. The last leg was Delta 2281, an MD-88 aircraft. I was in economy seat 19C for the one hour flight.

I was worn out and it felt great to be back!


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb