Ancient hidden gem near Krakow - Wieliczka Salt Mines


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Wieliczka
January 11th 2008
Published: April 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Poland's Underground Cathedral - a Must See on Your Trip to Krakow



We went to Krakow for a wedding and we invited our English friends to come and visit Krakow while we are there so that we could take them around. We decided that the Salt Mines is the place for them to see;-)

The salt mine was placed in the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites in 1978 and it is really spectacular. I went there for the first time when I was in primarily school, but now I know I could not fully appreciate this place back then. It was in use as a mine from the 13th century until 1996. It only ended then because of the drop in the price of salt and because of mine flooding. The mine is over 300 km long and goes down over 300 meters. The tour of the mine is only about 3.5 km long. There are guided tours available in several languages including and you don't really have to wait long for a ticket or guide.

The tour is accessed through a long, narrow staircase going down. Once inside the mines, the guide tells you about the history - about workers, the fact that they paid them with salt as it was worth more than gold in 13th century, horses raised in the mines from their birth (they eventually become blind because of the lack of light), small alcoves with carved statues by workers or local artists, chapels where miners prayed. All the sculptures are made out of are salt - not granite, as are the walls surrounding you and so is the floor - pretty impressive. There are underground lakes that are spectacularly beautiful. The most amazing moment is when the tour goes into the cathedral. - huge and beautiful church beneath the ground. Karol Wojtyła (the late Pope John Paul II) held mass there when he worked in Krakow. There are chandeliers made of salt there. In this case, the salt has been purified and reconstituted so it's clear.

This room has been featured in movies and there are frequent weekend parties including sleeping underground so worth checking our if you are interested. You can also book it for other ceremonies i.e weddings as the Cathedral is already there and a hall for reception is big enough. What a wedding that would be;-)

There is a lot for the tourist to see and do in Poland. Krakow and the surrounding area are full of places that should not be missed. The Salt Mines of Wieliczka are one of those places;-) Our friends loved it and so did we;-)

Unfortunately no photos but if we got your interest please see their website;-)





Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb