Visiting Krakow, this time with Dzl, Magda and Al


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
April 14th 2012
Published: May 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I have been to Krakow before, see here where it got quite a brief mention, but this time we took a bit more time, and Dzl and I got to go together so it was a wonderful trip, FULL of pierogies. My goal was simply to see Magda and Al who were visiting her family in Krakow, and, to eat pieogies, all day, every day. I accomplished both.

We started the trip off being picked up at the airport by Magda and her family. They took us straight to their house since it was Easter and I had forgotten altogether that it was. The day before we celebrated Easter in Copenhagen with some friends and a lovely lamb curry so it hadn't occurred to me that SUNDAY was the actual Easter day and we were going to a very religious country in terms of Easter! We had a wonderful brunch/dinner at Magda's family's place, they were so kind and invited us for a fabulous meal full of traditional food. It was very tasty and we rolled back to our hostel.

We stayed at the Flamingo Hostel, which was literally a few steps from the Market Square, it doesn't get much better than that. (And I can highly recommend it!). Across from us was a beautiful chocolate making place, selling chocolate high heels which Dzl was sweet and bought me one at the end of the trip 😊

We basically relaxed, wandered around the city, enjoyed the good weather, ate pierogies and drank polish beer, and had good visits with Magda and Al. One day we went to the Wawel Castle and explored all the armouries and rooms and then went to see the Jewish quarter where we found some of the cafes Amanda and I found before, including a charming cafe with Singer sewing machines and acceptable cappuccinos.

The highlight of the trip was really the visit to the old Salt Mine. It was an amazing tour. We travelled hundreds of meters underground and were on a 2.5 hour tour of walking through the underground salt mine. We visited the largest underground cathedral, and witnessed tons of beautiful sculptures which were made by the miners. It's really the thing to do in Krakow (besides eating pierogies). Fantastic!

Dzl and I had a wonderful trip and it was a nice treat to meet up with Magda and Al in Europe.

Until next time...


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb