All Quiet On The Eastern Front


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
October 18th 2010
Published: October 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

While we were in Vienna me, Randi, and Alex came to an agreement that we would do a day trip to Budapest, Hungary. We had planned to arrive early in the day to maximize our time there, unfortunately due to navigational errors and non existent trains we weren’t able to check in till around 4:30pm. Nonetheless, we were still able to make the best of it. After visiting some revitalizing Turkish baths we took a walk along the river Danube and into the downtown area. Once there we enjoyed a 27,000 Korin supper which was nothing but delicious. During our half a day in Budapest, we found it to be a beautiful city as it is home to many natural waterfalls and ancient ruins. At night the city lights up, highlighting its beautiful cathedrals and castles. However, at the same time it still holds many undesirable features that had been retained from years of communist rule. During the day one could see buildings falling apart due to a lack of maintenance and restoration. As well as the garbage that piles up, as there are no services to take it away. Life is hard for these people as they are struggling to get back on their feet, after being knocked over by the hand of communism. Being able to see life in Hungary and the rest of Eastern Europe was a very humbling experience that we will never forget.

The next stop was the Czech Republic and the well renowned city of Prague or “Praha”. The outskirts of Prague near our hostel shared similar features to Budapest in that living conditions were a bit more on the unconventional side. However, as we made our way to Prague’s city center, we discovered what everyone had been talking about. Downtown Prague is a center booming with life, as there are stores, restaurants, monuments, churches, and bars scattered throughout the area. We found that Prague is actually a very commercial city, very similar to Florence. There are many different American stores, with tourist traps everywhere. The Charles Bridge was an interesting site to see due to the fact that the bridge itself provides excellent views of the downtown and castle areas. An old time Czech band was also playing on the bridge which was quite entertaining, even though we could not understand a word they said. During our stay we were also able to visit the communist museum. This was an enlightening experience as our knowledge of communist life was very limited. Within the museum we were able to see the various types of soviet propaganda that were used. My personal favorite was that when crops weren’t producing or had failed, people would make posters saying the Americans were airdropping bugs over the crops. The beer and nightlife in Prague is also excellent, however after trekking around for a day going out until 4:00am doesn’t sound as appealing as a warm bed.

Leaving from Prague our plan was to take to the train for about 5 hours to Krakow, Poland. Unfortunately, again, we made some navigational errors which lead us to Warsaw through the polish countryside, and then back to Krakow. In the end it was a 14 hour train ride from hell. Nonetheless, Krakow was worth the trip. In fact we renamed Krakow “New Prague” as we felt it deserved the title more than its famous neighbor. What made Krakow so special was that it was a city that was able to become modernized without losing its historical roots. Much of the new architecture had retained the older designs and structure that had been used throughout the past. The old city was also surrounded by a nice park area which was beautiful to walk through, especially since fall is well underway.

While in Krakow we were also able to visit many of the Jewish historical sites. The first was Oscar Schindler’s “Emalia” factory. The factory itself had been converted to a very detailed museum, which provided an outstanding account of Polish and Jewish histories during the Second World War. Within the museum they were able to reconstruct the walls of the ghetto as well as the rooms in which Jewish families were force to live. It also gave an interesting perspective on German settlement within Poland during the war. This was quite interesting in that in Canada we were never shown what had happened to the Polish people during the war. Seeing this museum was an excellent preview for what we were to experience next, a place that we will never forget: Auschwitz.

Upon the entrance to Auschwitz we had heard and learned about everything that had occurred here. Nonetheless, reading and seeing are two very different things. Within in the camp we were able to experience what a day in the life of a prisoner was really like. The living quarters were really creepy in that they somewhat resembled buildings you would find in a university area. Inside there were many exhibits of items and belongings that had been left behind by the prisoners. One room was full of children’s shoes, while another would have brushes and suitcases. The most disturbing was a room that contained over a ton of women’s hair which had been shaved off to make bags and other materials. All the material goods that were off value were stripped from the prisoners and taken to two large containment buildings. These buildings were named Canada 1 and Canada 2, as Canada was seen as the land of opportunity. Berkinau, which was built down the road as an expansion of Auschwitz was really the ultimate death camp. Although many people died at Auschwitz, Berkinau wasn’t built to hold anyone for an extended amount of time. This is supported by the long railway track that runs through the camp and ends between two large crumbled buildings. Two large buildings in which a million people lost there lives. The front gates of Auschwitz contain a phrase that I will never forget, “Arbeit Mach Frei” or “Work Will Set You Free”.

We now find ourselves in Scottish highlands, enjoying the green rolling hills, and waiting for the great new sights and experiences that are next.

-- Dylan


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



19th October 2010

Yah first one to comment and all I can say is EPIC!! Everything looks so amazinging, nice work on the story I was captivated. haha Hope you guys (and girl) are having a blast. I can't wait to hear more of your adventures.

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0987s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb